favorite deer caliber

I have killed more deer with a Ruger 308 than any of my other rifles but my favorite is a first year production Ruger M77 in 7x57 chambering which has killed the 2nd most number of whitetails. Favorite load is 140 Nosler Partion over heavy load of 4064 IMR4064 powder. Never lost a deer with this combination.

First several years was strictly 243 win (first rifle), I killed quite a few muleys with that rifle, never had any need for a larger caliber until I started elk hunting, i've since moved up to 30cal... come to think of it, it doesn't kill deer any deader... lol I need to get the 6mm back out there,

First several years was strictly 243 win (first rifle), I killed quite a few muleys with that rifle, never had any need for a larger caliber until I started elk hunting, i've since moved up to 30cal... come to think of it, it doesn't kill deer any deader... lol

I plan to use my 6-284 for my antelope buck this year.... or..... :rolleyes:

You are asking a question that has many answers First for the swamps I use a .35 Marlin 336sc
with a 200gr Nosler, and for open areas, I like to use my 03A3 Springfield in .3006 with a 165gr
Accubond or a Partition bullet its not fussy just about any Bullet in 165 will shoot great.
When I go South I have a 7mm mag I like as much as I do my .3006.

For deer a .25-06 handles anything to about 700 yards, and I've never had a chance to shoot one further. Perhaps that's why I stopped using a 7mm mag around here decades ago. If I'm tree-stand hunting where shots won't be over 300 yards I'm as likely to opt for a .243. I laugh at people carrying cannons to shoot deer in the eastern woods since the extra punishment & cost gains you nothing but more meat destroyed.

Pretty much three in my book for deer here... white tail.
.30-30 Win and .44 Mag in Win 1894
.6XC in Custom Weatherby MkV Varmentmaster

My favorite is my "Lucky" gun Weatherby vanguard in 7-08 that I won in a raffle for $20.00 :D

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 165
700 BDL 30 06 fits like a glove and has never failed me H4350 58.5 168 bullistic tip
four fouling shoots after a good cleaning and she is good to go