Favorite .223 Rem Prairie dog loads?

I've not ran much H335 but if memory serves me it worked well with light bullets. I'd probably use it more but I just don't see it in 8lbs at the places I frequent purchase powder locally.

Anyone have comments on 1-9" and 1-7" twist 223 with a 40grain Vmax. Will they stand the RPM?

Anyone have comments on 1-9" and 1-7" twist 223 with a 40grain Vmax. Will they stand the RPM?
223 doesn't have enough case capacity to push them fast enough for failure. Now a 22-243 wildcat is a little different animal and can spin them to dust. My last prairie dog outing we took 10 AR's with us I loaded up 3000 rounds using 50 grain vmax bullets and CFE223 powder. I load tested it in about 6 of the guns trying to find a generic load that would give me MOA accuracy out of all of them. My brother and I took our oldest boys with us on the shoot and he and I just basically loaded magazines and swapped out guns when barrels got hot for the kids. We did shoot some ourselves but that was a good time just letting the kids shoot on a hot dog town. First day the dogs where a little more gun shy and quicker to go to ground lots of longer shots. Second day we where on a smaller young dog town and they where stupid we had an absolute blast that second day all morning.

I know the old SXSP Hornady 50 grain would come apart out of 1-9" twist.
I had issues with some Sierra's also.

I will load a few 40's and see what happens.

the 12 will like lighter bullets 40-55 gr.
the 9 will probably stabilize up to mid 60 yp lower 70 gr. bullets.
both wilk handle to 35-40 gr but the 12 twist will have higher velocity than the 9 with lower pressures

I made the mistake of buying a 20 inch 7 twist. 55 gr. @3200 fps was flying through paper sideways with 6 plus inch groups at 100 yards. I down loaded to under 2800 fps before the key holing went down. 62 hpbt also had problems at 3100.

75 gr match it worked fine, but that defeated the cheap shooting ar15 idea. So I gave it away and only build 9 twist 20 and 24 inch and 8 twist on 18 inch barrels

my first AR barrel was a 1:7 twist Krieger. It was wonder with the 50gr VMax, but when I tried a few of my buddy's 40gr VMax loads, several of them didn't make it to the target at 100 yards.. they just came apart!

My replacement barrel (Krieger 1:8, 223 Wylde) has no problem with the few 40gr VMax that I've tested.

:)

Recent Posts