Favorite .223 Rem Prairie dog loads?

I was just looking at this thread which contains a temp sensitivity chart and noticed that my favorite powder TAC is temp sensitive. I did have several case head separations last summer. I chalked it up to the brass being resized about 5 times and shot in a different AR. Now I wonder. So this year I'm going to try Benchmark or go back to H4895. http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/temperature-sensativity-of-cfe-223.3969612/

My only complaint about CFE223 is accuracy or really lack of accuracy but that really pretty much is across the board for ball powders I simply get more consistent accuracy with stick powders. I don't know why and maybe it's only in my head but after hand loading at least 10,000 rounds that is my observation.

TAC and H335 have pretty close resemblance.
H335 I have shot a bunch of it years past in 6x45 and 6TCU in pistol and rifle platforms. It has been the go to powder for me and a couple of other buddies since about 1987. Some new powders out there that I intend to try in a new built 6TCU.
748 is another I have seen large amounts of use with.
IHMSA match many years back a gent pointed out to me I should be using H322 in my 6TCU as ball powder like the H335 I was using was only for rifles. I worked a load with all the same components except went to H322. Issues arose and I went back to H335 and never looked back.

Sometimes one doesn't know they had a problem until they were told the had one.

A whole new project for me a couple of years back,17 Remington. I was told from the start of the old magic powders to be used. Well they just never made me smile after more than enough tinkering.
CFE 223, I looked over the data, snatched a starting point and put together a small batch for a ladder. When all of those little devils came together, put a grin on my face. Thought it may have been a fluke, put together a few of the window it liked, shot the next weekend, accuracy was still there.

Don't think I am hammering on ball or stick. I favor neither and tend to search out what shoots the best. I will chase speed, but not near as hard as I will the accuracy.

YMMV

I run 40gr v max with a max charge of benchmark for 3450fps out of my 16" Wilson Combat barrel. Explosive out to about 350 yards.

The 50 grain vmax and benchmark is a top performer in both my 223. Hornady 52gr btsp and benchmark is my other super accurate load in my 527 varmint

Another bullet I just discovered is the nosler 53gr varmageddon. B.C. is listed as .303. Considering its a flat base bullet of similar design to the hornady 53 vmax (which is boat tail with .29 b.c.) I think the .303 bc is an exaggeration. Either way, it might be a good one to try vs the 53vmax

I have a white oak 20" varmint upper I took this year. I shoot LC brass, 50gr Vmax bullets, fed 205 primers, and 25gr of H335. 2.25 OAL This is the same load I shoot in my cooper 21 in 223. I wanted to shoot the same load in both. The WOA upper will shoot in the .6's group after group. This was my first year to take a AR out. I have been 8-9 times using a bolt guns.

the most I ever shot in three days was 1500 rounds. Cheap shooting is the best. I've been using these new 62 grain HPBT. Out of my 1:9 20 or 24 inch barrels I dial them into 3100 fps. just to get a good number for calculations. 24.5 gr of AR-comp or about 27 gr of power pro 2000 MR..

these bullets are not super explosive, but for under 10 cents per pill who cares I buy them by the 5000's. We were there to help out the ranchers. We set out cement blocks out in the dog towns ahead of time to be able to laser. Heat waves can drive your eyes buggy staring through scopes for hours on end. I would tend to say that we limit to about 400 yards. If you want to do tear stuff up. the 55 gr varmint nightmare HPBT and SPBT loaded to 3300 fps are great up to 250 yrd rounds.

200 yard 5 shot group 62's I pulled the one on the left

Attachments

• Group223.jpg
    Group223.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
l prefer 40gr poly tips in all .22cal ctgs.. 2230c and vv130 works great in 222 and 223rem. ln 221fb l use imr4227 or H110.
All calibers/loads are for bolt guns. l try staying inside 300yds.. l'm here for the action and the RED MIST.. 4Ogr VMAX seems
to provide the best BLOW-UPS. No ARs need apply

l prefer 40gr poly tips in all .22cal ctgs.. 2230c and vv130 works great in 222 and 223rem. ln 221fb l use imr4227 or H110.
All calibers/loads are for bolt guns. l try staying inside 300yds.. l'm here for the action and the RED MIST.. 4Ogr VMAX seems
to provide the best BLOW-UPS. No ARs need apply

Nice thanks for the info. Curious, why do you say no ARs?

I prefer loading/shooting round at a time and a slower rate of fire than ARs deliver... l like to witness and follow thru with each shot..
I mean it only fires as fast as you pull the trigger. I built this 24" .223 AR for the purpose of PD hunting. Witnessing impacts is no problem, as it probably weighs about 13 or 14 pounds.

Attachments

• 20200108_185641.jpg
    20200108_185641.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited: