Favorite 223 load

Trapper65

I have a Rock River AR with a 16" 1:9" twist barrel. I've been shooting 50 grain federal and then 55 grain vmax factory ammo with great results. With ammo getting hard to find and pricey I'm looking at reloading for it. Already have RCBS full length dies and some 53 grain vmax and a full box of 55 grain vmax. Brass will be left over federal and hornady

Anyone care to share their favorite loads or recommended loads?

Hogwrangler I love the little 223 and my AR shoots mostly 55 gr sp Hornadys with 24.0 gr of Tac.
My bolt action rifle shoots them so well I have started 77 gr Sierra loadings with 23.0 gr Tac.
First 3 shots cut the center of the targets at 100 yards so I stopped.
I too have 1:9 twist on both rifles.
If I were to use them on hogs I would step up to Hammer bullets as heavy as you can go with and still fit in mags.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

I forgot to mention that my rifles showed no over pressure signs but for a different gun I suggest backing off and working up for your rifle.
A friend's rifle showed a slight bright mark on his primers with my load info but mine did not so work up any load for your rifle even the same make you have back up and load 3 at a time and fire them to see if any over pressure signs are present.
Above all write down EVERY load to reload.
I have notes from 1967 reloads with a hand reloader.Just a thought
Old Rooster

Here are my 3 favorites, although these are for a bolt gun and not an AR but you may give them a try. As always, these are safe in my gun, so work up. Tikka T3X w/1:8 twist barrel, the 55gr V-max load is for a Rem 700 Tactical 20" heavy barrel w/1:9 twist barrel

53gr V-Max
24.5gr Benchmark
CCI 400
Rem Brass

55gr V-Max
25gr Varget
CCI 400
Rem Brass

55gr NBT
25gr Varget
CCI 400
Rem Brass

Mine likes 55 hornady SP or Nosler BT with 25.8gr of 8208. work up to it just in case of course.

Federal brass can be thicker and pressure up. Mine was with Lapua and Rem brass

In my bolt gun I run 55 gr. Sierra HPBT'S with 26.5 gr of H335 . It's an older rifle with a 1in12 twist . I'm running some of these in my AR'S also but normally I run some 50 gr HPBT'S in the AR'S some with 1 in 7 and some with 1 in 9 twists they like a heaver bullet better but I have a couple thousand 50 gr bullets so that's what I'm using with 25gr of Varget . All with Winchester WSR primers . I got some good deals after the Obama scare when people quit hording so have been using that for now . All things reloading are in short supply at this time also as are loaded ammo . If you are just now getting into reloading you may not be able to find supplies to do so .

Bucklowery I have not used mag primers in 223.
Do you have to back off and work up to an acceptable load?
If primers ever get back to being on shelves I may get a brick of small rifle mag primers just to check them out.
It seems like the 77 gr Sierra TMK might benefit from a little more get-up-and go.
Old Rooster

I used some mag primers but that was with 55gr bullets and still ran the same powder charge but I run it where it shoots good not at or near max load . Being a 223 I don't shoot much farther then 250 yd. with it as a rule . It didn't seem to show any over pressure sings for the loads that I run and the grouping was still 1/2 moa at 100 yds. with my old 1:12 twist .

Recent Posts