father/daughter deer hunting

wanderer

hello gentlemen, new guy here from alaska! im looking for somewhere in wyoming possibly montana to hunt whitetails or mulies with my sixteen year old daughter who is very mildly disabled.she is dying to take her first whitetail. she gets around pretty well, energy runs out kinda quick though, so nothing super taxing such as backpack hunt would be wise.i am in worland ( north central wyoming). we can travel a litte ways and i can afford something reasonable like trespass fees etc. but not such as a fully outfitted guided hunt. i dont know this area at all( just moved here, so we wont be residents until august). thanks a million for any ideas...... john

Got to agree with frog and buck I know the trip would be a little further but I think Texas might be a great option and I bet she could get a hog or twenty or maybe add in some type of exotic if time and $$ permit management hunts dont have to be all that costly and she could score a very nice whitetail

Last edited:
Get onX hunt and do some scouting on it for public land that is fairly close to the roads, also talk to local ranchers too. They might be intrigued to see a father taking his teenage daughter out hunting if there hands aren't tied to an outfitter. You have lots of options.

Take a look at South Dakota. They have great opportunities for youth hunters. Non resident does for 10$ and pretty much a garaunteed tag. there is a TON of west river public land. Youth tags are under 18 with firearms safety. took all 4 of my kids, one of which is a daughter, from 12 years old to 18 and it got them all absolutely hooked on deer hunting. Most of SoDak is pretty non resident friendly too. The people out there are top shelf.

Your in WYOMING. No need to travel out of state!! The Bighorns are right there. Most of them are National Forest and open to hunting. Get ONYX maps. Drive around and look at public land. Look for deer. The most important thing you can do for your daughter is to SCOUT. Especially September as your getting ready for hunting season. Learn the land. There is a large population of deer in the Bighorns. Both whitetail and mule deer. Find where they are at and you'll do well.
You can also start asking ranchers. You never know. Take your daughter with you when you ask. Can't hurt. Good luck!!
Bruce