Father and Son Mule deer hunt

parker33

My youngest son graduated high school this year much to our suprise. I stared thinking of when I graduated my mom and step dad took me to Wyoming on my first and until this year only mule deer hunt. I usually go to Colorado every fall with some friends who own some land there and we hunt whitetail. I didn't draw a tag but a friend of mine from the area we hunt found a land ownwers tag. I thought about it and told my son I would take him out and let him use the tag for his first mule deer hunt. When we landed in Denver my phone rang and my friend Rex said he found another land owners tag if I wanted it. I said I would love to have it. The first day out we were trying to get my buddys 12 year old nephew on his first mule deer which we did. One thing we aren't very good at is taking the time to take good pictures. As you can see by his deer IMG_20121028_181350.jpg The next day we had my son on the gun' Which by the way is a Long Range Rifle made by Len in 6.5x284. We went to an area that some other friends had seen 4 mule deer bucks the day before. As we were nearing the area they had seen them in 3 bucks stood up and looked at us at 475 yards. I ranged the biggest buck and gave him the scope adjustments and he drop him facing straight on. Here is more proof that we are better hunters than photographers. IMG_20121028_085223.jpg He was a nice young mule that grossed 157. Not a bad place to Start. Now it was time for me to hunt. We had been seeing a lot of deer around the milo field that we got the first deer in. It bordered a main dirt road. I noticed a lot of trails crossing the road and told my friend Rex as we were driving by. We pulled in across the road from the field and about 20 deer stood up on a hill. We were glassing them and all we could see were does and a few nice young bucks. Nothing we were interested in. As we were about to leave a big buck stood up. We could tell he had everything we were looking for BUT he was on someone elses land. Rex leases the pasture for his cows so we called and asked if we could hunt over there and were DENIED ACCESS!!!!!!! I told Rex that this is not a problem because this afternoon he should come out to the grain field on his property. So we make a plan to set up on him thAt afternoon. We got across the road from where he bedded and waited. To make an already long story a little shorter we had to watch him for about an hour walk around, bed down and finally walk to within 100 yards of us before he turned and walked out of sight back into the pasture. Finally just before dark he jumped the fence, crossed the road and gave us a 350 yard broadside standing shot. I have some pictures here if I haven't already put you to sleep. DSCN3270.jpg DSCN3271.jpg Hew really fooled us. We thought he was around 190. He grossed 215. He is netting typical 192 and non-typical 200. All around a great hunt. As a side note the next afternoon we went out and Rex shot a cull mule deer at 670 yards with his .308 win.IMG_20121102_092550.jpg If you read all of this thank you for your time, Scott

Awesome story and pics ! You guys LOADED THE WAGON:)

Your son will never forget that hunt. Priceless

That is awesome. Great story and what a way to spend time with family and friends. In my opinion they are all great deer. Congrats on a great hunt.

Thanks guys. It couldn't have been much better. Joe, my son made a great shot on his mulie and we had a great time before during and after the hunt.

Thats a awesome graduation present.
Kudos dad for building a lasting memory with your boy.
Congrats on a pair of fine bucks

Thanks. I went out west my first time when I graduated and fell in love with the west. We are from florida so it is quite a change. Our oldest is graduating from UF this month and I hope to get him out next year. He went straight to college and has always had class when we go. Maybe now he will have no class and go with us. Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.