Fate of a new rimfire cartridge?

The 5mm Remington was another case of "ahead of its time" combined with another case of "failure to support" by Remington. A custom centerfire conversion was made for the same chamber but the supply of brass ran out.
Aguila made a short run of the rimfire stuff, but it's gone. The so-called "collectors" hoard the stuff, jack the price up, and keep it on their shelves where it does no good.

Lol, I am 61, just last month I saw 5mm ammo on a shelf somewhere, a first for me. I have never searched online, no need, but I was tempted to open a box to actually see just what it looked like.
Aguila sells 5mm. I wanted a Rem 591 5 mm but the ammo disappeared before I bought one. got a Sheridan 5mm pellet gun. Still have it

Yeah, but the 5mm Aguila rimfire ammo sells for more than the 223 Remington or the hotrod .204 Ruger. And the 5mm Remington ammunition, if you can find it, is priced as if it was someday going to be Pappy Van Winkle's Finest Reserve. Somebody needs to turn out some dies and lathe tools to make the centerfire stuff from Hornet brass or just make a short run of the stuff every few years. Over many years, Remington has built a reputation of not supporting its products.

I have built and owned many rim fire and the only one that ever impressed me was the 17 HMR and a few 22 Long rifles.

The primer seems to be a problem at times and this has been the reason many rim fires are not accurate.
If/when I build my next 17 It will be a 17 Hornet because of the center fire primer. It also pushes the 20 grain bullet 3650 ft/sec. I might even decide to go with a 17 K Hornet to push it 100 to 150 ft/sec faster.

J E CUSTOM

We see literally tens of thousands of rimfire ammo expended each year on sage rats (Beldings Ground Squirrels). The .17 HMR is by far the most popular and it's extremely accurate. It's great ground squirrel medicine especially with the V-max bullets. In the right hands it's capable of 150-175 yard hits in light wind. We do have to be careful about squib loads. I think the manufacturers occasionally miss the powder charge and the primer is enough to dislodge the bullet from the case. The WSM offers a nice bridge between the HMR and the centerfires. The hits are audibly louder and it can go out to 250 yards on calm days. We've witnessed very few misfires with the WSM's and ammo costs are not a lot higher than the HMR. Both are great small varmint cartridges!

The 17 WSM is definitely the King of the rimfires. For a rimfire, it's a very capable little cartridge. Unfortunately, regardless of what the label on the box says, it's all Winchester made ammo and their rimfire ammo is mediocre at best. Not to say CCI, which is who makes the vast majority of the 17 HMR ammo, is fantastic, but it's definitely better than the Winchester stuff.

I have a couple 17 HMR's and a Bmag. My Bmag has been massaged over a bit and shoots the best of the three. In fact, I hardly ever even shoot my two 17 HMR's and they've be relegated to back ups or loaner guns.

The K-Hornet, Ackley Hornet, and Hornady Hornet all have nearly the exact same case capacity, so if one has any measurable velocity advantage over the next, it'll be due to the owner pushing it harder. The brass for all three is just kinda ok, none of it is great. I don't know about the 22 Hornet brass, parent case to the K and Ackley Hornets, but you have to watch the neck thickness on the Hornady Hornet brass because it'll vary 2-3 thou from Lot to Lot. Bushing dies, IMO, are definitely worth the extra money when reloading for the 17 Hornet.

I have two CZ 527 17 Hornets and they're kinda like a 17 WSM on steroids but with a lot better ammo. They're a really fun little gun and when the conditions are right, it's amazing how far you can reach out with these little buggers on only 11.2 gr of powder and a 20 pill.

A while back one of the ammo manufacturers was teasing about a new rimfire cartridge. I've not heard how far they got. I believe it was to be based on a nail gun power cartridge and was to be around .22 caliber. Does anyone remember this, and what ever came of it?
Would we call this a good VERY-Long-Range gun with which to hunt the Grizz? Or a Very-Close-Range gun with which to stalk the snakes? Or a gun for close-cover with Lions and Tigers and Heffalumps? (Danm, but I'm making no sense ... maybe the Covid's got me!) Some caliber and game combinations really do require some extra ... "Long-Range." And some might require a good single-malt before (or after) using that fine little "stalking rifle" on Dangerous Game. As a long time proponent of close-stalking dangerous game, I would suggest a long and slow stalk on the approach and a very fast re-stalk, a retrospective of one's own tracks immediately following the shot. Either that, or let my brother-in-law do the honors whilst I record his exploits from afar. Bang!

The 17 WSM is definitely the King of the rimfires. For a rimfire, it's a very capable little cartridge. Unfortunately, regardless of what the label on the box says, it's all Winchester made ammo and their rimfire ammo is mediocre at best. Not to say CCI, which is who makes the vast majority of the 17 HMR ammo, is fantastic, but it's definitely better than the Winchester stuff.

I have a couple 17 HMR's and a Bmag. My Bmag has been massaged over a bit and shoots the best of the three. In fact, I hardly ever even shoot my two 17 HMR's and they've be relegated to back ups or loaner guns.

The K-Hornet, Ackley Hornet, and Hornady Hornet all have nearly the exact same case capacity, so if one has any measurable velocity advantage over the next, it'll be due to the owner pushing it harder. The brass for all three is just kinda ok, none of it is great. I don't know about the 22 Hornet brass, parent case to the K and Ackley Hornets, but you have to watch the neck thickness on the Hornady Hornet brass because it'll vary 2-3 thou from Lot to Lot. Bushing dies, IMO, are definitely worth the extra money when reloading for the 17 Hornet.

I have two CZ 527 17 Hornets and they're kinda like a 17 WSM on steroids but with a lot better ammo. They're a really fun little gun and when the conditions are right, it's amazing how far you can reach out with these little buggers on only 11.2 gr of powder and a 20 pill.
All WSM may be made by Winchester Olin,but the Hornady out shoots them all,it's the only round I'll ever run through mine unless things change.Go figure tested three types,next in line was Browning 17 WSM,Winchester shoots the worse @ 2 in moa.,Browning about 1.5 moa,and Hornady is about 1and a quarter if all things are right.This is with the sporter barrel,I may sell my sporter to my nephew and acquire a heavy barrel.

I regularly shoot the WSM, HMR and 17 Hornet. Like them all within their limitations. If I could only take one gun on Pdog trip I'd take the Hornet. I usually take two of the 17's on those trips along the bigger guns. The 5mm Rem was way ahead of its time. Sadly it was a good shooter, much like the HMR. The worst of the bunch normally is the 22 mag.

I regularly shoot the WSM, HMR and 17 Hornet. Like them all within their limitations. If I could only take one gun on Pdog trip I'd take the Hornet. I usually take two of the 17's on those trips along the bigger guns. The 5mm Rem was way ahead of its time. Sadly it was a good shooter, much like the HMR. The worst of the bunch normally is the 22 mag.
Always wanted a 5mm Rem. But soon after the 591 came out they quit making the ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.