Fast twist wsm

cohunt

Does any manu sell a 1:9 270wsm rifle?
Or what about fast twist 7saum or 7wsm rifle ?

Only one I have seen is Christensen arms classic "steel" for $1600 in 270 wsm with 1:9--- cant find it on ca website though and the ridgeline in 270wsm is 1:10

Anyone have info on the ca classic steel rifle?

Last edited:
It will take 6 months-if you're waiting anyway a 1-7" twist won't hurt you, and keeps open the ability to play with some of the custom heavyweights out there.

A 1 in 9 twist is perfect for the 270 WSM and many barrel makers have these barrels. faster twist rates (1 in 8) are ok for the heaviest bullets
but can be hard on 130s and down.

J E CUSTOM

In a factory rifle I would just get a 7mm Rem Mag. I have a 270 WSM and its a fine round but its not well suited to shooting the heavier bullets. Even if you can find a faster twist barrel you'll still have to deal with fitting those long bullets in there. In a short action the WSM works well with 150 grain bullets, which are great in a 1:10 twist. Longer bullets will have to be seated so deep that you'll lose performance. With a custom build you can use a long action or extended box and 1:8 or 1:9 twist but at that point why not just neck up to 7mm for better bullet selection?

A 7mm Rem Mag will handle 150-180 grain bullets with ease and you won't be cramped for space in your magazine. The 28 Nosler is also a good option if you want more speed or if the 195 grain bullets appeal to you.

A 1 in 9 twist is perfect for the 270 WSM and many barrel makers have these barrels. faster twist rates (1 in 8) are ok for the heaviest bullets
but can be hard on 130s and down.

J E CUSTOM

I'm looking at rifles with fast twist rate, I know I can order a fast twist rate barrel

I hear you. But I think you will find that factories stick with standard twist rates because most people shoot mid weight bullets and only this bunch wants the heavies for long range.

But with careful loading, you can get great accuracy with the standard twist. Most bench rest shooters run slower twist so that bullet engraving is more consistent.

J E CUSTOM

so has anyone heard of the CA classic "steel" rifle?

one their website the classic is a CF barrel rifle--but on euro optics they have a 270 wsm CA classic steel that states the twist rate is 1:9--but on CA website all their 270wsm are 1:10 twist

maybe a misprint? or maybe a custom edition? --maybe not worth the $ though and could build a semi custom for less

so has anyone heard of the CA classic "steel" rifle?

one their website the classic is a CF barrel rifle--but on euro optics they have a 270 wsm CA classic steel that states the twist rate is 1:9--but on CA website all their 270wsm are 1:10 twist

maybe a misprint? or maybe a custom edition? --maybe not worth the $ though and could build a semi custom for less

That might not be a bad idea to find a factory rifle with the fast twist before you go with a custom build so you can try it first. If you find the right rifle, you can always re barrel it to the twist rate you want/need.

good luck on your project.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.