Fast Twist Barrels

What combos are you shooting now ?
Thats another advantage to Hammer bullets Steve the owner and inventer of his bullets will help you with a bullet of his matched to conventional twist rates he makes a variety of bullets in the same caliber of diff twist rates by tweeking the lenght of the boatail and making it a little lighter or heavier depending on twist

That good, but at 25 to 75 yards?
Only a couple of kills myself Mike, but the last one was an antelope at about 90 yards, 124 grain Hammer Hunter, MV 3960. It did get a piece of the off shoulder, but really not the kind of damage one would expect. I've seen more with 6mm, .25-06 .30-.06 at more range.

I kind of started out with the theory of heavier bullets, and have changed opinion along the way. I don't worry about fast twist for the heavier Hammer's example is in my 6mm my next order will be the 70 grain Hammer Hunter.

I don't consider myself necessarily a long range hunter, but that will work for me. If I remember correctly you mentioned a 6mm/280AI it should get you downrange in a hurry.
Good Luck!

Presently laid up with a right shoulder replacement, and I am getting ready to move at the same time. So I am out of the shooting group for a few months. So for now all I can due is hunt and peck on my keyboard. I will look over the Hammer bullets more closely. The box of 100gr Hammer I like the looks of them. I tried Barns copper bullets in about 2000, and didn't like them at all. Never used them again. Here where you can get a lot of opinions. Some good and some bad. What a combination.

p

Presently laid up with a right shoulder replacement, and I am getting ready to move at the same time. So I am out of the shooting group for a few months. So for now all I can due is hunt and peck on my keyboard. I will look over the Hammer bullets more closely. The box of 100gr Hammer I like the looks of them. I tried Barns copper bullets in about 2000, and didn't like them at all. Never used them again. Here where you can get a lot of opinions. Some good and some bad. What a combination.

p
Not even in the same section of the library as a Barnes

Mike: the hammers are worse than cashews, cannot take one bite at them. You will start thinking of which rifle load and species and the website is now a saved favorite!

Good luck to speedy recovery. I go in Thursday next week for another repair to right shoulder. Hopefully, I won't screw this one up. Learned lesson I hope.

All great candidates for some Hammers
Been putting off shoulder replacement for a long time dont want the down time allways got a lot going hunting fishing ranching guns etc etc hope it goes well and hope you have luck with the hammers you can get a sample box of 15 to see if you like how they load get well happy hunting

Mike: the hammers are worse than cashews, cannot take one bite at them. You will start thinking of which rifle load and species and the website is now a saved favorite!

Good luck to speedy recovery. I go in Thursday next week for another repair to right shoulder. Hopefully, I won't screw this one up. Learned lesson I hope.
You be careful. Good luck, and a successful out come.

Been putting off shoulder replacement for a long time dont want the down time allways got a lot going hunting fishing ranching guns etc etc hope it goes well and hope you have luck with the hammers you can get a sample box of 15 to see if you like how they load get well happy hunting
I don't have much of a base to start with, but have fair ideal on where to start from. I generally have a bullet weight that I want to shoot to start with, and the Hammer 100gr is the one for now, and I have some Berger bullets of heavier grs. I am getting 2 barrels at the same time, and 32" long. I am looking forward to working on loads for that setup. The un-fun part is getting powders, and cases for it. I have time to acquire the 2 items. Going to try H1000, Varget, and H4831SC this time going down range. Being I generally hunt in all types of weather so the IMR's are out for now, because of extreme variance.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.