Fast Twist 270 Win vs. 6.8 Western

Hey Amigo, I have a 270 I sent to mcgowen and had it rebarreled with 1:8 twist.. It is at mag length and I shoot just uner 2900 fps now with Ramshot magnum.. with a 170 grain EOL Berger. I got it up to 3050 with R 26 but it wasn't as accurate and I don't like RL 26 for hunting ... It pressure spikes in hot weather... I say put a new barrel on it with some freebore and let the ole 270 buck.. If you don't want a single shot better stay SAMMI. I left mine mag length but I am missing out on some case capacity. Nothing wrong with a AI though... just not as easy.

As P.O. said, up to a point more powder equals more velocity.

I find the sudden love for the 270 amusing. I forsee more orphan cartridges to join the SAUMs, WSMs, 325, 307, 356 and so on.

When someone can tell me what any of these "new" 270s can do that cannot be equalled by the boring old 7mm RemMag IN REAL WORLD PRACTICAL HUNTING SITUATIONS I'll listen.
They can shoot .277 caliber bullets. That's something no 7mm will ever do and that's why people want them.

There's a thread on 270win/170 Berger on here or Nosler's forum somewhere.

26" 1-8 and RL26 were around 2900 as advertised by the posting member
Seems pretty hot for a long berger🤣! With these newer 27cal bullets it makes me want a 270wsm! When I get into the top 2 heavy bullets in each caliber I tend too go up 1 caliber for velocity, but lose out on bc. I will most likely never own a 28cal! A 25cal for some reason also? A 22-250rem suits my needs more than a 22CM (up to 75gr bullets). I don't shoot any caliber I can't get a fmj in (my precious).

I don't see much if any gain in the 6.8western? If a faster twist is needed, then just put on a faster twist barrel! I've wasted money on the 6.5CM and can get more velocity out of a 260rem.

The absolutely best reason to put fast twist barrel on a .270 Win is pretty simple to me. Brass availability and still get improved performance whether going to an 270AI or staying with old girl. Heck you can probably still find brass at range!

I am imagining some combination of "Voluntold" because a "friend" paid the entry fee, alcohol, and maybe a pretty girl or two were factors in your entry into the tough guy contest.

Just a question. Is a 270AI much different than the Sherman Wildcat 270?

case vol of H2O

270 win 67.4
270win AI @75 ? I can't find it on the internet
270 sherman 75
270 wsm 78.9

Chuck Hawks

My posts start at #8

A 700LA has a max magazine COAL of 3.65 so you can seat heavy weights out quite a bit for the .270 Win as long as you set the free bore long enough to accommodate this COAL. which is what I did with 27", 0.290 free bore added, 1:8 twist, 5R light palma SS Remage barrel from Preferred Barrel. I set the free bore based upon my desire to shoot the 156 HH which was a commitment to a bullet I had not shot but felt extremely confident it would shoot great in the setup I chose. I sent Preferred Barrel 2 rounds with the 156HH to set the free bore based upon the COAL I sent them. It has worked out wonderfully and spawned the infamous .270 Thors Hammer that we all had fun with. This is not a hard deal to do and now you have a .270 that hold its own with 6.8 whatever with brass, dies and now better bullets that are reasonably available. As I keep tinkering with it, the accuracy keeps improving as I have gone sub 1/2 MOA with it. I don't doubt the 6.8 Western performance at all. I just like getting there with a standard cartridge that even JOC would be proud of today!

Yep, ordering a 26" 1:8 twist and longer throat as result. The .270 Win offers a lot benefits in faster twist and higher BC bullets for those who like the caliber. If you don't like the .270 Win, nothing will change that. I see the .270 twist change no different that what has happened to the 300WM. Faster twist now on factory rifles for the heavyweights. The .270 Win brass is easily found, cheap, great neck for longer bullets, good velocity with newer powders like RL26. Recoil for some is always a decision but it is nicer than most. The COAL needed may require some magazine changes but that is no different than what we did for the 300WM to accommodate the longer heavier bullets. I ran a ladder with a 24" barrel and was surprised by results but since have confirmed to be normal for the powder and bullets. All the different caliber suggestions instead are nice but if you like the .270 this ups the game for it. Is it a .270 WSM? No but never meant to be and still provides a nice niche for shooters. Maybe we should call it .270CM to satisfy the need for a new glitzy caliber name?

"The 170 EOL topped out at 3067 with very slight ejector that was hard to see but I felt good enough. The 165 Matrix was 3079 but No Pressure. Did not run ladder deep enough since I was surprised by load."

LRH LINK: RL26 .270
Does your 270TH have a different throat? In other words did you do more than faster twist barrel?

Not much new because shooting is a mature sport. Most of the new cartridges are variations on a theme, and the themes already suffice. It's not like electronics where quantum leaps are made. There was no such thing as AI 40 years ago.

Nevertheless, just like with old school cars with gasoline burning engines, people like different engines, injection systems, etc., they also like to try different cartridges. It doesn't mean that cartridge will do something another one won't. Even in the development of high BC bullets, there have been good incremental improvements. A rifle or pistol that projected a lethally powerful laser beam would be a quantum leap.

It's nice to have choices. If you don't like having them, don't worry, they will start going away as the modern world crumbles. Record setting wildfires and extreme weather patterns are just the beginning. The front of the Titanic is already touching the iceberg. Smoke is about to ruin deer season in several states. Unless you like hiking in what looks like Los Angeles smog in the 1970s.
The way you write we are already done. Might as well stay home. I know of men that spoke of not making it in Vietnam. Most of them didn't. Defeated at the start doesn't cut it. If you don't do forward thinking, you are done. As you can see our forest planning is not working. Stupid is, Stupid does. Sorry, but I really like when people are saying it's over, and it's not. Stand up and fight. Win Loose or draw. That life!

If you want it, build it.

My only point is that there is nothing really "new" about all these new cartridges.

Case in point, from 1910: The 280 Ross. The original factory loads included a 180 grain FMJ spitzer bullet at a muzzle velocity (MV) of 2800 fps, and a 146 grain spitzer hunting bullet at a MV of 3100 fps. (with a 28" bbl).

It was an unbelted Magnum long before they were "discovered" a few years ago.

Ross cases can be made from RUM cases -------
I use a 129 grain LRX with 58.3 superformance. Get 3200 fps out of 24" barrel. Decent BC. Works on just about anything to 600 yards. Not that impressed by the 7mm.

Yep, ordering a 26" 1:8 twist and longer throat as result. The .270 Win offers a lot benefits in faster twist and higher BC bullets for those who like the caliber. If you don't like the .270 Win, nothing will change that. I see the .270 twist change no different that what has happened to the 300WM. Faster twist now on factory rifles for the heavyweights. The .270 Win brass is easily found, cheap, great neck for longer bullets, good velocity with newer powders like RL26. Recoil for some is always a decision but it is nicer than most. The COAL needed may require some magazine changes but that is no different than what we did for the 300WM to accommodate the longer heavier bullets. I ran a ladder with a 24" barrel and was surprised by results but since have confirmed to be normal for the powder and bullets. All the different caliber suggestions instead are nice but if you like the .270 this ups the game for it. Is it a .270 WSM? No but never meant to be and still provides a nice niche for shooters. Maybe we should call it .270CM to satisfy the need for a new glitzy caliber name?

"The 170 EOL topped out at 3067 with very slight ejector that was hard to see but I felt good enough. The 165 Matrix was 3079 but No Pressure. Did not run ladder deep enough since I was surprised by load."

LRH LINK: RL26 .270
Nicely said. Sometimes old works just fine. My 129 LRX popping along at 3200 fps is pretty handy on antelope, deer, and elk. More powder and higher BC bullets certainly provides benefits, but the "more powder" provides diminishing returns and short barrel life. 129 grains of copper that holds together well is enough to take elk just fine out to 500 and maybe a bit more. Comes down to expansion at slower velocities as the real limitation.

Heck, my first rifle I bought Savage 110C .270 in 1968 rebarreled 6 years ago (started the rabbit hole for builds) with 24" 1:10 ER Shaw shoots 117HH at 3470 with H4350 and stupid accurate.
Post in thread 'Share Your Hammer Loads'
https://hammerbullets.com/hammertime/threads/share-your-hammer-loads.12/post-17919

I built a fast twist 1:8 27" 5R with 0.290 freebore during this thread in 2021 that shoots incredible. IMO, the secret to unleash the .270 Win potential is a LA (eg 700LA) with long magazine COAL of 3.67 or longer to take full advantage of the long neck and increasing the case capacity potential.

I now have another action at GS to true up for another .270Win build. This will be an interesting approach using a Serengeti reamer concept to reduce pressure thus increasing velocity of the longer heavier bullets. Will it work like it does in 06? I think so but how much is anyone's guess. But it is like having a scratch off lottery ticket that you know has a winner but not how much until you scratch it! Anticipation is the always fun part! It will take some time to get it together but its gonna be a long fun wait for this build. I hope it will be done by April next year.!