Fast Twist 270 Win vs. 6.8 Western

Many of our members may not be aware "there is nothin new under the sun."
Pretty sure Ecclesiastes is talking about the nature of humanity, mortal life, and the world we live in more than technological advancement.

Nonetheless i quoted the exact same passage when hornady brought out the a tip hailing metal tips as the pinnacle of bullet tech when Remington had the bronze point long before anyone was using plastic in bullets lol.

Anyone re-barrel a 270 Win to a faster twist for the heavy for caliber bullets? I'm looking for real world velocities with let's say 165 gr Nosler LR Accubonds or other heavies. I see the new 6.8 Western is advertising factory ammo at 2970 fps for the 165 LR Accubond and am curious how much speed is gained with the Western over a fast twist 270 Win. Thank you.
6 of one, half dozen of another. Kinda like the 6.5-284 vs 6.5 PRC. The only advantage to the new 6.8 W is it's faster barrel allowing longer heavier bullets to stabilize and the cartridge OAL is right around 3.00 with the long heavy bullets allowing it to be used in a short action rifle. Beyond that, no real advantage ballistically over the .270win.

Just AMAZING that JOC was able to kill everything with his 270. It even had a wood stock ! And a 2.5X Lyman Alaskan ! And was BLUED too !

Dare I say it had something to do with his hunting ability rather than jumping on the latest whiz-bang techno delight ?

When all the RUMs, WSMs, RSAUMs, RCMs, PRCs etc are gathering dust on the used gun racks, the 270 WCF will still be killing any big game any HUNTER that choses it.

Curious ---- Just where does a 170 gr. 277 pill pass by a modern 130 pill ?

Betcha it's farther than 99% of big game is killed at.

Just AMAZING that JOC was able to kill everything with his 270. It even had a wood stock ! And a 2.5X Lyman Alaskan ! And was BLUED too !

Dare I say it had something to do with his hunting ability rather than jumping on the latest whiz-bang techno delight ?

When all the RUMs, WSMs, RSAUMs, RCMs, PRCs etc are gathering dust on the used gun racks, the 270 WCF will still be killing any big game any HUNTER that choses it.

Your probably on to something with that percentage statement when you consider the entire country or world of hunters. Considering this IS a LR hunting forum, the percentage of LR shooters that DO use the LR high BC bullets for that 1% makes it a worthwhile bullet here.

Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I was looking for. You've been a great help.

OP, Feenix has some interesting info posted on his 270AI loads. Not exactly what you're asking for but worth a look I think:

Amen. Grandpa was a huge fan of 130gr. When he gave me his rifle for graduating basic training and AIT in 1984 he said "if I ever find that you're shooting anything but 130's thru this rifle, I'll take it back and kick your a**" and he hated silver tips with a purple passion.

Yep, ordering a 26" 1:8 twist and longer throat as result. The .270 Win offers a lot benefits in faster twist and higher BC bullets for those who like the caliber. If you don't like the .270 Win, nothing will change that. I see the .270 twist change no different that what has happened to the 300WM. Faster twist now on factory rifles for the heavyweights. The .270 Win brass is easily found, cheap, great neck for longer bullets, good velocity with newer powders like RL26. Recoil for some is always a decision but it is nicer than most. The COAL needed may require some magazine changes but that is no different than what we did for the 300WM to accommodate the longer heavier bullets. I ran a ladder with a 24" barrel and was surprised by results but since have confirmed to be normal for the powder and bullets. All the different caliber suggestions instead are nice but if you like the .270 this ups the game for it. Is it a .270 WSM? No but never meant to be and still provides a nice niche for shooters. Maybe we should call it .270CM to satisfy the need for a new glitzy caliber name?

"The 170 EOL topped out at 3067 with very slight ejector that was hard to see but I felt good enough. The 165 Matrix was 3079 but No Pressure. Did not run ladder deep enough since I was surprised by load."

LRH LINK: RL26 .270
For those who care. I've found that the Savage Overwatch in .270 has an impressive magazine length.; ~ 3.5000"
I ran out of throat before I ran out of magazine. With my 145gr ELDX. My sweet spot was 3.3725" with ~ .0100" jump. Too bad it is only a 1:10 twist. Might be worth looking at that magazine for the 170gr Nosler. Just my 2c

I have had a Model 70 in .270 Win for almost 20 years. I use Barnes TSX 140gr bullets with very good accuracy.

I took my old fencepost woodstock savage 110 in .270 and slapped a 6.5 barrel on it with a faster twist and made a 6.5-270 out of it. Use all my 6.5 bullets I have saved up and sized down my 270 brass in one pass. If I had a stockpile of .270 bullets, I probably would have just put a faster twist 270 barrel on it and call it a day.

I say do it.

If you want it, build it.

My only point is that there is nothing really "new" about all these new cartridges.

Case in point, from 1910: The 280 Ross. The original factory loads included a 180 grain FMJ spitzer bullet at a muzzle velocity (MV) of 2800 fps, and a 146 grain spitzer hunting bullet at a MV of 3100 fps. (with a 28" bbl).

It was an unbelted Magnum long before they were "discovered" a few years ago.

Ross cases can be made from RUM cases -------
Sure would like to know how they recorded their velocities back then. Loaded with cordite? IIRC, this cartridge's claim to fame was that it got people eaten who went lion hunting with it.