Fast Twist 270 Win vs. 6.8 Western

Fallguy

Anyone re-barrel a 270 Win to a faster twist for the heavy for caliber bullets? I'm looking for real world velocities with let's say 165 gr Nosler LR Accubonds or other heavies. I see the new 6.8 Western is advertising factory ammo at 2970 fps for the 165 LR Accubond and am curious how much speed is gained with the Western over a fast twist 270 Win. Thank you.

As P.O. said, up to a point more powder equals more velocity.

I find the sudden love for the 270 amusing. I forsee more orphan cartridges to join the SAUMs, WSMs, 325, 307, 356 and so on.

When someone can tell me what any of these "new" 270s can do that cannot be equalled by the boring old 7mm RemMag IN REAL WORLD PRACTICAL HUNTING SITUATIONS I'll listen.

As P.O. said, up to a point more powder equals more velocity.

I find the sudden love for the 270 amusing. I forsee more orphan cartridges to join the SAUMs, WSMs, 325, 307, 356 and so on.

When someone can tell me what any of these "new" 270s can do that cannot be equalled by the boring old 7mm RemMag IN REAL WORLD PRACTICAL HUNTING SITUATIONS I'll listen.
My love for the 270 didn't happen recently. I have a Rem 700 bedded into a Bansner stock that is a true .5 gun with 130 Grain Accubonds. It however will not shoot anything above 130's very good. I've always wanted to go to heavier bullets but the 1-10 twist doesn't permit that in my gun. Just looking for real world velocity numbers with the heavies in an 8 twist 270 Win with a 24 inch pipe.

If you want it, build it.

My only point is that there is nothing really "new" about all these new cartridges.

Case in point, from 1910: The 280 Ross. The original factory loads included a 180 grain FMJ spitzer bullet at a muzzle velocity (MV) of 2800 fps, and a 146 grain spitzer hunting bullet at a MV of 3100 fps. (with a 28" bbl).

It was an unbelted Magnum long before they were "discovered" a few years ago.

Ross cases can be made from RUM cases -------

280 Remington load data would probably get you pretty close, as far a FPS goes, for a given bullet weight.

I know this doesn't answer your exact question but if you're going the custom route to get a 1:8 twist, 270 Win., the 270 Sherman could be worth a look. That's the route is take, if I was going fast twist 270 Win.

If you want it, build it.

My only point is that there is nothing really "new" about all these new cartridges.

Case in point, from 1910: The 280 Ross. The original factory loads included a 180 grain FMJ spitzer bullet at a muzzle velocity (MV) of 2800 fps, and a 146 grain spitzer hunting bullet at a MV of 3100 fps. (with a 28" bbl).

It was an unbelted Magnum long before they were "discovered" a few years ago.

Ross cases can be made from RUM cases -------
With all due respect, all that history lesson stuff is totally irrelevant to the question I asked in my post.

With all due respect, all that history lesson stuff is totally irrelevant to the question I asked in my post.
Every thread on the 6.8 Western I've read has something similar. Every new cartridge ever invented, or to be invented, will have the same. I laugh and make a promise to myself to not be that guy.

It's not the same profile or jacket thickness as the ablr or matrix vlds or Berger 170 Eol however for what it's worth I have loaded 180 grain woodleigh weldcore in my 270 with its 10 twist (they were stable enough not to keyhole but not enough to group especially well).

best load I ended up with trying several different powders I had was with Winchester brass only (more capacity and that bullet is loooong, protruding way in there so capacity is a must), reloader 25, fed215.

good es numbers, almost exactly 2600 FPS (a few over), 22 inch barrel.

read into thAt what you will. Using a thinner jacketed bullet with less bearing surface and a longer pipe and you'd run faster no doubt.

I was given a 270 win when my first son was born. Loved that rifle and shot the barrel out. A old Rem 721 with custom stock. I have been thinking of re barreling with a 1:8 twist. I have wondered the same thing what would be different then the 6.8 Western as far as real world use.

Yep, ordering a 26" 1:8 twist and longer throat as result. The .270 Win offers a lot benefits in faster twist and higher BC bullets for those who like the caliber. If you don't like the .270 Win, nothing will change that. I see the .270 twist change no different that what has happened to the 300WM. Faster twist now on factory rifles for the heavyweights. The .270 Win brass is easily found, cheap, great neck for longer bullets, good velocity with newer powders like RL26. Recoil for some is always a decision but it is nicer than most. The COAL needed may require some magazine changes but that is no different than what we did for the 300WM to accommodate the longer heavier bullets. I ran a ladder with a 24" barrel and was surprised by results but since have confirmed to be normal for the powder and bullets. All the different caliber suggestions instead are nice but if you like the .270 this ups the game for it. Is it a .270 WSM? No but never meant to be and still provides a nice niche for shooters. Maybe we should call it .270CM to satisfy the need for a new glitzy caliber name?

"The 170 EOL topped out at 3067 with very slight ejector that was hard to see but I felt good enough. The 165 Matrix was 3079 but No Pressure. Did not run ladder deep enough since I was surprised by load."

LRH LINK: RL26 .270