fast twist 22-250 build questions

benchracer

I am planning to build a fast twist 22-250. My primary use would be paper punching/clay targets out to about 600 yards. Secondary use would be prairie dog shooting with occasional use on coyotes. I would like to use up to 75g AMAX and similar bullets.

I am considering either a 1:9 or 1:8 twist. I have read that the 9 twist will give slightly better velocity than the 8 twist with the heavier bullets and better accuracy than the 8 twist with bullets in the 50-60g weight range. I have also read that the 8 twist produces better accuracy with 75g bullets and heavier.

Is the choice between the two twists really that critical or is this mainly a hair-splitting excercise?

If I intend to shoot the heavier bullets (75g and up), would going to the AI chamber be worthwhile?

In my current 22-250, I am using mainly Winchester brass. For those who have used it in this chambering, have your found Lapua brass to offer an edge in accuracy?

I am planning to build a fast twist 22-250. My primary use would be paper punching/clay targets out to about 600 yards. Secondary use would be prairie dog shooting with occasional use on coyotes. I would like to use up to 75g AMAX and similar bullets.

I am considering either a 1:9 or 1:8 twist. I have read that the 9 twist will give slightly better velocity than the 8 twist with the heavier bullets and better accuracy than the 8 twist with bullets in the 50-60g weight range. I have also read that the 8 twist produces better accuracy with 75g bullets and heavier.

Is the choice between the two twists really that critical or is this mainly a hair-splitting excercise?

If I intend to shoot the heavier bullets (75g and up), would going to the AI chamber be worthwhile?

In my current 22-250, I am using mainly Winchester brass. For those who have used it in this chambering, have your found Lapua brass to offer an edge in accuracy?

I had a factory Savage 9 twist that loved 70 grain VLDs, but it was borderline with the 75 Amax. If I had an AI chamber to drive them a little harder It may have done better. If I were to do the fast twist 22-250 again, I would go with the 8 twist with an AI chamber for the 75+ grainers. The extra velocity combined with the high BC heavies really makes the 22-250 shine at hitting little targets a long way out.

Not sure about the velocity part of the statement but IMHO I feel your right about accuracy. As far as the 75 grain slugs goes...I think you'll be amazed at that 55 grain Hornadys will do for you![/quote]

My personal belief says yes!
Nope!

I stated using Rem brass and still do but have a whole raft of Lapua. Never saw any accuracy difference but definately better case life with Lapua!!

Thank you, brentc, for your advice. That tells me exactly what I wanted to know. So, I will be getting my 8 twist barrel on order in the next couple of months...

If you plan on shooting heavy bullets twist rate is critical. The AI chamber will help keep velocities up with those heavy bullets.

Sully 2, thank you for your input, as well. It really looks to me like if I want to shoot the 75 grain class of heavies in the 22-250 that I will have to bias the rifle more toward the heavies and give up some performance with the lighter bullets.

I guess the saving grace here is that this rifle will have a 12 twist sibling (I am getting ready to re-barrel my 14 twist 22-250). I am hoping that it will like 53g VMAX's...

Whether I go with an AI or a standard chamber, I intend to do the same for both rifles.

Thanks for the heads up regarding Lapua brass. If there is no accuracy advantage, I think I will stick with what I have.

Sully 2, thank you for your input, as well. It really looks to me like if I want to shoot the 75 grain class of heavies in the 22-250 that I will have to bias the rifle more toward the heavies and give up some performance with the lighter bullets.

I guess the saving grace here is that this rifle will have a 12 twist sibling (I am getting ready to re-barrel my 14 twist 22-250). I am hoping that it will like 53g VMAX's...

Whether I go with an AI or a standard chamber, I intend to do the same for both rifles.

Thanks for the heads up regarding Lapua brass. If there is no accuracy advantage, I think I will stick with what I have.

I think you'll find that for average shooting there ISNT any real advantage for using the 75 and heavier slugs but as you said if you want good accuracy for them and heavier you need to bias for them. If and or when you might want to shoot much lighter bullets ...say 35 grain or so...the slugs explode in midair because they are spinning so fast.

I have 1 22-250 built on a Stiller action that carrys a 9 twist and my heavy barreled is a VLS with the 1:14...and it shoots 55 grainers just perfect...so Im leaving it factory stock.

My experience tells me that once you start shooting heavies, you won't ever want to go back to lighter bullets. The heavies open up a whole new world of capability with the 22-250. They handle both the short targets, the really long targets, and wind is a lot less of a concern.

If you're going to have a barrel chambered you may as well get the AI done, you'll pick up extra velocity and a bit of extra case life. It's a no-brainer.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.