Fartherst Elk Shot 30-06

magedon44

Hey guys wanted to get your advice, how far would u guys shoot an elk with a 30-06? im going on an elk hunt and possibly buy a leupold with the CDS dial and work up some good loads. Wanted to get some opinions! thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Fartherst Ethical Elk Shot 30-06

I've seen 4 shot in two days in the 480-535 yard range with 180 gr bullets, all very clean kills. In fact only one managed to make it 10 yards before tipping the rest tipped over in a step or two. All shots were perfectly placed on or very near the heart and all exited.

The long range potential these days with the 3006 is better than ever. With the right barrel, powder and bullet you can really get out there for an elk load. Especially at elk altitudes.

If you are going by the 1500'# rule, there are loads that will get you to 800 yards. With more traditional loads, 650-700 is about it.

That is the old rule of thumb I've always gone by on elk (1000ft/lb on deer)and then you need to practice countless hours to deliver that proper bullet into the vitals. With my poor eyesight now at 64 years old I have to limit my shooting to 400 yards or less on live game even though my rifle is capable of twice that far.

Not long ago someone posted a cow elk kill at roughly 680 to 700 yards, with a lady hunter who was with John Burns. The elk was quickly dropped with a 243, thus a bullet that is light weight.

You put a 26" tube on a 30.06, load a Berger 185 or 190 VLD with a high velocity powder like Re22 or similar and use a magnum primer, I cannot see why this combo won't down an elk at 800-1000 yards. Just know the drop.

My only response to that is that Burns is taking a lot of heat on a lot of websites for putting that video out when the girl had never even shot that rifle before or attempted any shots on big game before that video was shot and because of the small caliber he used!

My only response to that is that Burns is taking a lot of heat on a lot of websites for putting that video out when the girl had never even shot that rifle before or attempted any shots on big game before that video was shot and because of the small caliber he used!

I know he is as he should. And just because they got lucky and made a spine shot, doesn't mean that they should have used that rifle/bullet.

But nonetheless, it happened. I'm curious to know what the outcome would have been with a lung shot.

Regarding the 30.06, I do stand by my post and will offer another comparison. And that is the 925 or 950 yard shot Jeremy made in one of the BOTW videos at his elk with the 6.5x284 with the 140 VLD. I'd take the .06 with the 185 VLD any day.

As I mentioned earlier, even though my 30-06s are capable of doing what you're talking about, my old eyes are not up to it and I limit my shots to under 400 yards. If you have the equipment, knowlege, and practice a lot I know long distances are possible with that caliber. I don't know what the ft./lbs. of energy would have been on the elk she shot that far with a .243, but I doubt that it was sufficient for a quick kill. I believe if that bullet hadn't hit the spine and taken that big animal down, there probably would have been a long and very possibly negative outcome. Burns only comment that I've read about the incident is that he has told everyone making negative statements that they are just mad because it was a girl that made the shot! To that I, and a lot of others, are calling BS! Do you have any idea what ft./lbs of energy would have been left at that distance with a .243? Common wisdom that I have seen in my many years is not to even use it on elk, but if it's the only gun available that shots should be kept within 200 yards or so on a broadside or slightly quartering away animal.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.