Farming question. How many bails am I going to get per acre?

This sounds like a wreck waiting to happen. Good thing it's not something serious. First off, it's bales, not bails. You don't say what kind of bales, so I we are assuming small squares. The most labor intensive pieces of schit there are. Pretty much trashed my back following my stupid dad around while he stuffed these into a cow. All by hand, couldn't use any machinery. Round bales make much more sense, if you have a tractor to move them. One guy with a moco and round baler can do about 40 acres in three or four days. A lot less screwing around.
Your neighbor is an idiot if he thinks he can get 1000 bales off of 2 acres. That figures out to be about 25 ton per acre. Not. Three or four ton per acre total is more like it. That rate would give you about 300+ 50# bales. If they are heavier, you will get less.
You said there are a group of you. That usually doesn't make for a smooth operation either, usually someone will have an opinion without a clue as to what they are doing. If the neighbor wants the hay for doing the work, then that makes it easy. Just let him do it and stay out of the way. If he wants you to help, it could be a pain. "Hobby farmers" generally do things the hard way.

This sounds like a wreck waiting to happen. Good thing it's not something serious. First off, it's bales, not bails. You don't say what kind of bales, so I we are assuming small squares. The most labor intensive pieces of schit there are. Pretty much trashed my back following my stupid dad around while he stuffed these into a cow. All by hand, couldn't use any machinery. Round bales make much more sense, if you have a tractor to move them. One guy with a moco and round baler can do about 40 acres in three or four days. A lot less screwing around.
Your neighbor is an idiot if he thinks he can get 1000 bales off of 2 acres. That figures out to be about 25 ton per acre. Not. Three or four ton per acre total is more like it. That rate would give you about 300+ 50# bales. If they are heavier, you will get less.
You said there are a group of you. That usually doesn't make for a smooth operation either, usually someone will have an opinion without a clue as to what they are doing. If the neighbor wants the hay for doing the work, then that makes it easy. Just let him do it and stay out of the way. If he wants you to help, it could be a pain. "Hobby farmers" generally do things the hard way.
I agree with you, it was not even my idea he offered it but then after I started looking into it I relized its a bad idea. It would cost what I am paying now to fill my barn and I would have to do all the work. I think I am going to try and talk him into planting it and letting my animals graze off it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.