Farewell My Friend......

Joel Russo

My dear friend, hunting partner, and LRH forum member Philny1, passed away on friday.

His wife of 43 years, sister and brother-in-law, and I were at his side when he took his last breath.

I was fortunate to have been able to spend time with him while he was in the last week of his life. I told him how much his friendship meant to me, and when he couldn't speak, he would nod his head and smile.. Grown men do cry...

Phil was my close friend, and hunting partner. Few people have touched my life like he has.
Those of you on the forum who remember his posts, would remember our constant banter back and forth..

Our last hunting trip together was in the Wrangell Mountains of Alaska where we hunted Moose, Dall Sheep and Grizzly. Being the accomplished long range shooter, Phil connected on a nice Dall at 613 yards.

When not hunting big game, Phil and I would long range hunt woodchucks through the summer months.

Three weeks ago, we made plans to hunt Elk in CO this fall....

"Phil, you will be with me on all my future hunts. You will be calling my shots, laying next to me when we figure out the dope for the shot, and you will forever be in my heart. I will miss you dearly my special friend until we meet again..."

IMG_0803.jpg

PhilWillows.jpg

Phil07ak.jpg

Phil07.jpg

IMG_11152-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Joel, I am so sorry to hear about Phil. I know when I bought that edge off of him three years ago he was sick then. He was certainly a very strong man and a very blessed man to have all the hunting adventures and family and friends he had.

I know you all will miss him, and I'll miss seeing yalls funny banter back and forth about trading or buying guns.

Nathan Dodd

What a shame. He was a great guy.

I had the pleasure of buying a rifle from him as well, back when he went by the handle "Bearless".

He was my go-to guy for LH rifles.

Joel, My prayers go out to Phils wife, familly, and friends.
God rest his soul, and bring peace to those whom he loved here on Earth.

Sorry to hear about that Joel. It's good that you got to spend time with him at the end but it sad that you lost a great hunting partner. We'll all miss him around here.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.