supporter fiction v facts: Ruger v Tikka

Better barrel? Really? Ruger is one of the VERY FEW gun companies that can afford the machine equipment necessary to make their own hammer-forged barrels, so I'm dubious about your claim of "better barrels" from Tikka.

As a matter of fact, I would go so far as to say that Ruger is financially the largest and most stable gun company in the world:
Market Cap: ~$1.5 Billion
I thought this thread was trying to justify the money for a tikka tac a1. Now I'm just confused. By a ruger rah rah. I'll get the pompoms lol. It was arguably the first real value oriented precision rifle on the market and hopefully will serve u well.

Is Beretta worth more than $1.5 Billion?
I don't believe it's a publicly traded company. Also, Ruger's market cap isn't $1.5B. Beretta has higher revenues.

Sako has been the standard for factory barrels for decades. Ruger historically been an example of the worst. They're better now...

I have shot a Tikka, not the one you mentioned, and the action was very slick. I liked it a lot.My buddy has a RPR and running the bolt on doesn't compare. Have you thought about getting a Tikka in a KRG bravo chassis?

I don't believe it's a publicly traded company. Also, Ruger's market cap isn't $1.5B. Beretta has higher revenues.

Sako has been the standard for factory barrels for decades. Ruger historically been an example of the worst. They're better now...
Market Cap1,293,821,805
9/1/20

Last edited:
My experience is with the Ruger American and Tikka T3's, not the precision rifles you are looking at. However, I think it may still be helpful.

My primary hunting rifle is a Tikka T3 Forest in 30-06. It is the least picky of any rifle I own, shooting many handloads and factory ammo at 0.5MOA, in weights between 150-220gr.

My son has a Ruger American Compact in .243 that is the most accurate rifle in my safe. He loved it so much that he now has standard Ruger American in 7mm-08 and has killed more deer and hogs with it that I've lost count.

I loved my Tikka so much that I bought a T3x in both 7mm-08 and 300 Win Mag. Both shoot lights out with handloads and factory ammo.

I still prefer the Tikka's over the Ruger Americans for 3 reasons: trigger is much better, the bolt is much smoother and the factory Tikka stock is better quality. These are all subjective and are strictly my opinion after having shot both. However, the Ruger Americans that my son has are real shooters and he loves them.

Do you still use the original aluminum recoil lug in your T3 forest '06?

Ruger Precision Gen 3 Bolt-Action Rifle
vs
Tikka T3x TAC A1 Bolt-Action Rifle​

I've been reading a lot about these 2 and really approach neither with bias. The online forums definitely favor the Tikka. But I'm really getting nothing more than opinions:

But as always the truth is more complex than supporters would have you believe. So, with some measure of trepidation, I ask:
Does one far outstrip the other? I've never actual seen any data to back up these opinions. But they are asserted with absolute certainty. Is there actual data that gives one the advantage over the other?

The only hard data that might exist is the sheer number of people that have a stock Tikka and say it shoots well. Their voices might be louder than the Ruger owners.

If you're to assume they have an equal chance in accuracy, go with the one that feels better to you. Or, consider the future of what you might want to do with it. Tikka has a ton of aftermarket options and the actions are pretty easy to bed.

I've got an '06 T3x that I bedded into a Boyd's stock. It shot well out if the box and shoots well now. I'm not sure if it shoots any better after I've bedded it. But, it feels good, shoots well enough for me, and I like it alot!

Sounds like we have a lot of satisfied tikka and sako owners and one loud mouth chiming in about how amazing ruger is. At the end of the day you're going to buy what you want. Just because you're the minority that feels a ruger is equal to a tikka doesn't mean you're right or we are right about tikka. I've got experience of dozens of tikkas and sakos talking here and several tigers including RPR. The most accurate ruger has been close to an average tikka. The most accurate tikka has been comparable to some custom rifles. Do what you do..... size of the company has literally nothing to do with it. By that logic a great mustang should run with a 911 turbo?

Sounds like we have a lot of satisfied tikka and sako owners and one loud mouth chiming in about how amazing ruger is. At the end of the day you're going to buy what you want. Just because you're the minority that feels a ruger is equal to a tikka doesn't mean you're right or we are right about tikka. I've got experience of dozens of tikkas and sakos talking here and several tigers including RPR. The most accurate ruger has been close to an average tikka. The most accurate tikka has been comparable to some custom rifles. Do what you do..... size of the company has literally nothing to do with it. By that logic a great mustang should run with a 911 turbo?
I assume I'm the "loud mouth" that hurt your feelings?

Sorry if someone challenging your supporter rifle upsets you. Well, actually I'm not sorry.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts