supporter fiction v facts: Ruger v Tikka

I've shot both, accuracy with the tikka was exceptional, but that is a sample size of one. Nothing wrong with the ruger. The factory trigger on the tikka is better imo. The tikka tac a1 also has dual ejectors, but uses proprietary tikka magazine whereas the ruger uses aics. It's like 60 degree bolt throw vs 70degree. I'd guess the on a large enough sample size the tikka would be a little more accurate, but for the price differential, I'm not sure you're getting a 1/3more rifle. I have rugers that shoot very well

Ruger Precision Gen 3 Bolt-Action Rifle
vs
Tikka T3x TAC A1 Bolt-Action Rifle​

I've been reading a lot about these 2 and really approach neither with bias. The online forums definitely favor the Tikka. But I'm really getting nothing more than opinions:

But as always the truth is more complex than supporters would have you believe. So, with some measure of trepidation, I ask:
Does one far outstrip the other? I've never actual seen any data to back up these opinions. But they are asserted with absolute certainty. Is there actual data that gives one the advantage over the other?
My 2 cents, I have 9 Ruger rifles and 3 pistols. Should work for Ruger but have no link to them other than there guns for the price shoot great!

I told a friend that e-mailed me a few moments ago I would make this short. I have over the years owned Rugers, including the Precision rifle. I have and still own several Tikka 695's. I will tell you this; for the quality, accuracy, and all other factors of high quality; the Tikkas have it in all categories. they are better made, they are more consistent, and they are far more accurate than any of the Rugers I have ever owned. I have never had a Ruger ever put 3 shots at 400 yards through one ragged hole without serious upgrades. All of my Tikkas routinely shoot match or target accurate out of the box. That is not opinion but it is a fact. I have only two Ruger rifles left in my locker. a fun #3 in 22 Hornet and a Ruger 44 Carbine. both are more sentimental than work horses of my hunting and shooting arsenal.

Here's my contention: the Tikka has no real out-of-the-box accuracy advantage over the RPR.

Here's my contention: the Tikka has no real out-of-the-box accuracy advantage over the RPR.

I beg to differ. All other things being equal the better trigger will be more conducive to accuracy. The Tikka wins there too. So better receiver, better barrel, better trigger, better overall quality. I say again: I love Ruger but the Tikka has several advantages over the RPR. Feel free to have a different opinion, this is mine. 🤠

I beg to differ. All other things being equal the better trigger will be more conducive to accuracy. The Tikka wins there too. So better receiver, better barrel, better trigger, better overall quality. I say again: I love Ruger but the Tikka has several advantages over the RPR. Feel free to have a different opinion, this is mine. 🤠
Better barrel? Really? Ruger is one of the VERY FEW gun companies that can afford the machine equipment necessary to make their own hammer-forged barrels, so I'm dubious about your claim of "better barrels" from Tikka.

As a matter of fact, I would go so far as to say that Ruger is financially the largest and most stable gun company in the world:
Market Cap: ~$1.5 Billion

Better barrel? Really? Ruger is one of the VERY FEW gun companies that can afford the machine equipment necessary to make their own hammer-forged barrels, so I'm dubious about your claim of "better barrels" from Tikka.
I own 13 Ruger rifles and 3 Tikkas. All 3 Tikkas shot better 100 yard groups with off the shelf ammo than any of my Rugers. My 1st gen. RPR only would do 3" groups, before I sent it back. The second barrel was just under an inch. I really love my Rugers, but the fact is box stock my Tikkas shot better. Is it the barrels or a combination of things? I don't know.
I also have 1 Savage rifle that out shoots my Rugers and 3 Savages that shoot equal to the Rugers. I'm sure that can't happen either.

I am not sure your logic is sound. Ruger has always been a value oriented company. Sako, not so much.

Last edited:

As a matter of fact, I would go so far as to say that Ruger is financially the largest and most stable gun company in the world:
Market Cap: ~$1.5 Billion

Size of company and quality of product are not causal relationships.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.