supporter fiction v facts: Ruger v Tikka

Want the truth, here it is but first, some questions.

1. What do you intend on using it for?
2. What kind of accuracy do you expect?
3. Do you intend on customising the rifle?

1. In the intended use area the Ruger is a decent all around rifle although the tolerances used in it's construction are much wider than the Tikka.
They are well known for this. Silky smooth actions on the tikkas

2. The accuracy department, since the tolerances on the Tikka are so much
Tighter out of the box accuracy is usually great but, I have also seen some pretty stright shootin Rugers.

3. On Customazation the Tikkas win hands down . You are very limited with Ruger. One mor thought. Ruger uses castings for the Actions, Tikka uses forging in their own plant on the same line as Sako. I know because I've been there on a tour of the plant.

Finnally, PRICE. for very little more than the price of a Ruger rifle, you can own a much smoother and in 9 out of 10 cases more accurate Tikka.

I have owned just about every rifle manufactured in the free world, some costing thousands! The lessons Ive learned is one of deminishing returns.
I owns several Sako and Tikka rifles that have shot with, or out shot some of the best customs out there. Choose SLOWLY, CAREFULLY, RESEARCH, THAN DECIDE.

Some othe fine rifles are the new Mauser offerings as well as Sauer. Great stuff especially on a price/performance scale. Good luck on your search.

1. In the intended use area the Ruger is a decent all around rifle although the tolerances used in it's construction are much wider than the Tikka.

Tighter out of the box accuracy is usually great but, I have also seen some pretty stright shootin Rugers.

3. On Customazation the Tikkas win hands down . You are very limited with Ruger. One mor thought. Ruger uses castings for the Actions, Tikka uses forging in their own plant on the same line as Sako. I know because I've been there on a tour of the plant.

Finnally, PRICE. for very little more than the price of a Ruger rifle, you can own a much smoother and in 9 out of 10 cases more accurate Tikka.

I have owned just about every rifle manufactured in the free world, some costing thousands! The lessons Ive learned is one of deminishing returns.
I owns several Sako and Tikka rifles that have shot with, or out shot some of the best customs out there. Choose SLOWLY, CAREFULLY, RESEARCH, THAN DECIDE.

Some othe fine rifles are the new Mauser offerings as well as Sauer. Great stuff especially on a price/performance scale. Good luck on your search.
Customizing The Ruger Precision Rifle

Customizing The Ruger Precision Rifle
It seems as if the Ruger was designed for customization.

Bang your head.gif

First: Feenix is spot on in thread #59!

2nd: OP is asking for comparison of the two rifles as they are not as a "project" rifle based upon the initial thread starter.

Ruger Precision Gen 3 Bolt-Action Rifle
vs
Tikka T3x TAC A1 Bolt-Action Rifle​
I've been reading a lot about these 2 and really approach neither with bias. The online forums definitely favor the Tikka. But I'm really getting nothing more than opinions:

But as always the truth is more complex than supporters would have you believe. So, with some measure of trepidation, I ask:
Does one far outstrip the other? I've never actual seen any data to back up these opinions. But they are asserted with absolute certainty. Is there actual data that gives one the advantage over the other?

So the real question is which one provides the most likelihood of being accurate which brings me back to Feenix thread:

Yes. The good folks at Tikka were not the ones to state that "no honest man needs more than ten rounds".
Game, set, match.
I believe that's it's been well established that Bill Ruger was suffering from "softness of the brain" in his final years. But that's now ancient history at Ruger, Inc.

I see a lot of postings here that raise the question: "I bought a Tikka because I think it's the best" or is it: "I think Tikka's the best because I bought one"?

I see many very positive reviews of the RPR from people with no apparent skin in the game. But here it's all Tikka?

RPR: 1,000 yard day

Last edited:
Tikka hands down.

I own more Ruger firearms than any other manufacturer but I have a tikka T3 and several Sakos too. There is no comparison in quality.

I see tons of used RPR's for sale but I've never seen even one used tikka T3x tac a1 for sale. Are there such out there? Sure. But I peruse gun boards all the time as I'm a wheeler dealer kinda guy and have yet to see one used for sale.

I have two friends who both sold their RPR's for something better. They both shot well but maybe it was just to "basic" for them.

I see a lot of postings here that raise the question: "I bought a Tikka because I think it's the best" or is it: "I think Tikka's the best because I bought one"?

I see many very positive reviews of the RPR from people with no apparent skin in the game. But here it's all Tikka?

RPR: 1,000 yard day
Spoken like someone who's not owned a tikka or a ruger

Same old story: "What do you need?" vs. "What do you want?" A nicer car doesn't make you a better driver.

I believe that's it's been well established that Bill Ruger was suffering from "softness of the brain" in his final years. But that's now ancient history at Ruger, Inc.
I believe you're off on your history.
Bill said that because he didn't want to lose supplying prisons with the mini-14, and got an exemption from Clinton, as did Smith and Wesson. Feel free to look it up. But if you want to call a business decision "softness of the brain" you go right ahead.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.