Fallow deer

Randominator

Last fall I had the opportunity to hunt Fallow deer in Tennessee. I first saw Fallow deer in 1984 while at Land Between the Lakes on a bowhunting trip. Very majestic animals. Every since seeing them in 1984, I have wanted one. I spotted a nice solid white buck at about 200 yards and was getting set up for the shot. As soon as I got him in my scope, he jumped a fence and disappeared. I moved across the meadow to where he jumped the fence. About 100 yards down the treeline, there stood a different buck. This one was spotted and looked bigger. My buddy glassed him and said, "this one is a lot bigger, take him if you have a shot". I sent a 200 grain Nosler Accubond downrange. The shot hit a little back from where I was aiming, and the buck got up and ran to the top of a pipeline. I managed to get within 50 yards and administered a finishing shot.
T/C Encore handgun in 338 GNR, Burris 2x7 Ballistic-Plex scope.

HHC5-10.jpg

HHC5-12.jpg

The next day I went back to the same area to try and take a Fallow doe. I spotted this doe across the meadow being pushed by a big buck. I took a steady rest and waited for a clear shot. As soon as she was clear of the buck, I took the shot.

T/C Contender handgun in 309 JDJ, Weaver 2x8 scope, 157 yards.

HHC5-57.jpg

Nice story and pics. Congratulations and great pistol shooting. Interesting looking game.

Welcome to LRH.com.
Congrats for the buck and doe, it looks like you made your dream come true. Nice animals.
Thanks for sharing.

No it isn't an albino. Fallow deer are either a dark chocolate brown, solid white, or spotted. This doe was entirely white with no marks on her. I wish now I had tanned the hide.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.