Falling down the rabbit hole

Critter Picker

It's time for me to admit, I have a problem. It's the first step to cure, right? My barrel for my current build (7-08) is still out 8 weeks ,so I've been tossing around the idea of building a 6mm ARC in an AR format. I've always been a bolt guy but about 5 years ago I fell off the wagon and built my first AR.

Not positive that I want to go ARC everything is more readily available for the 6.5 Grendel,but the ARC intrigues me and outwardly seems to have the edge on the 2. I just seem to keep sliding down this hole. It's really dark down here.

I've ran quite a few simulations on the loads between the two and the Grendel has won out for me more times than not. I absolutely love the round and it does well in dang near every barrel length. A 12" suppressed Grendel still keeps min expansion velocity out to almost 400 with a 123 SST and delivers 1000 ft/lbs at 300. It's an easy to tune cartridge and it's crazy how efficient that little bugger is. I would lean towards it over the ARC, and know that if you wanted to, you could always grab a barrel for the ARC down the road. Everything else should work in conjunction with it (just be careful on which Grendel bolt you get for head space purposes).

Is anyone besides Hornady making ARC brass yet? That would be the deciding factor for me I think, Hornady brass is fine for fire and forget, I don't care for it at all for reloading. It's super soft.

I just have a hard time buying expensive brass for auto loaders. My experience is just on 556 and 7RM in a Browning BAR in the auto loader world, but chasing dented brass has been my norm. Sorry for being off topic. Rabbit holes are everywhere in our hobby.

Here is my daughters 6mm ARC in an AR platform. 24" barrel and with the 108gr it is shooting 2700 FPS. Brass is an issue, I have had to buy factory ammo to get brass. I am only getting 5-6 reloads out of the hornady brass before the primer pocket is done. Leverevolution has been the go to powder to date and BR4 primers. I do have CFE223 now so that is next on the list to see how it performs. The rifle shoots dime sized 10 shot groups with factory, reloads with the 108 ELDM or the Berger VLD at 100 yards off bipod and rear bag.

If you do go this route drop me a note. I can let you know of all the little I got cha items we found along the way.

20221008_094141.jpg

I'm still kind of on the fence. Really like the 6BR and can use same components for 6ARC. On the other hand 6.5 Grendel is established and components are more available. Don't NEED either,just want to build one for educational purposes.