Failed 1950 yd mule deer

LR3

I realize most posts are about successes but I trust there are some lessons for those who pursue LR game. I ve practicing for years for LR and have sent hundreds of rounds beyond 1000 yds in different conditions and ranges and had both exbal and Ffs on a Nomad matching trajectory out to 2400yds. Ranging was with a Swaro and Vectronics Rf. So in NM last week conditions were not ideal for muleys in the high country with record lows, snow, high winds, and muleys but it was time to put practice into effect. We saw muleys but mostly in canyons trying to avoid the bad weather and at great distances. Eventually after a few days winds dropped to 15mph, temperatures 25F and wind chill 5F. Time was running out when some buck showed up on the other side of a deep canyon at 1950 yds. All the parameters were entered into both Ffs and Exbal and both correlated. Took two ranging shots and vertical was correct and horizontal needed correction. Then aimed on buck. Couldnt feel the trigger it was so cold. Took shot with .375 AM (cheytac 408/Gibbs 505) at 3270 fps and BC .774 resting on sled ( I ve not mastered shooting with a bipod beyond about 1200 yds even with BR pod and loading legs ). Bullet landed between legs and never connected. Never got a muley but that's good reason to practice in more adverse conditions for next time. Field conditions make it a lot more difficult to range practicing when the weather turns bad!

Thanks for the honesty! Not to worry keep practicing with the by-pod, it will come. The wind and updrafts from the canyons can be tuff to figure out due
to the constant changes even by a very experienced shooter.:)

Close but no seegarr.:)

Shows you had confidence to take the shot. The ranging shots are a good idea.

I can't shoot for squat with the standard accepted "Harris" type bipods. I just can't seem to get the hang of it. At any distance....

However, with solid legged bipods its a totally different experience.

I've made up a couple of different versions and have finally settled on one that both looks good and works well.

Will be taking the 375 AM to a mile (as soon as I find a good spot :rolleyes:) and we'll see what I can accomplish.

What were the elevation and atmospheric conditions for your 0.774 bc?

As I haven't shot more than 1k and at ~4500' elevation 0.8 works.

Thanks for the story. Wish you would've nailed that one or another to help fill the freezer. Sounds nasty down there!

Have you considered the Atlas bipod? I've recently purchased the 3" leg extensions for it (about 2 oz. and make it like you are carrying two different height bipods) and the spike feet. So far, I really like the spike feet as in most any terrain, they hold tight for a very stable shot.

Also, the geometry (besides the fact that it also has a 45 deg forwards and backwards setting for the legs) in the middle setting, when loaded, has the legs pointed slightly towards the shooter, which, for me seems a more stable angle to load consistently than the Harris with its slightly pointing forwards (opposite of the Atlas) legs. I've seen my shooting tighten up and be more consistent so far.

Jury is still out, but I like what I see so far. Also, with using the picatinny style rail which is screwed into the bottom of the forestock, to attach the Atlas bipod to, the setup is very tight at this point. A problem that I found with the flat, tactical style forestock and the Harris type bipod is that the Harris type bipod, where it actually would contact the stock, is quite rounded and I never felt like there was really good consistent contact here with the type of flat, tactical stocks many of us are using. Not an issue with the Atlas.

The Atlas is also a bit lighter in weight than the Harris 6-9" and the Atlas is made entirely out of stainless steel and aluminum, so there are less corrosion issues to be concerned about. Definitely a different animal that the Harris style and this takes a little getting used to, but what doesn't?

Anyway, good luck next year.

jmden. All good points. I ve not tried tha Atlas but I have a Ftr style bipod. Similar to the Sinclair and I m better on the ftr than a Harris. I agree part of the problem is the stock shape (McMillan A5). I used a target shooting 1000 model which is very solid but heavy. I need to spend more time working with the Ftr rest to see if I can achieve equivalent results.

Roy, I found after 100 s of rounds that .774 worked best out to 2400 yds but having said that you may recall the post where we discussed BC and in my snipetac it's close to .78. With the Ffs on Nomad I use .78 but add a drag factor of .502. This BC has worked for me at 75F at 1500 feet and now in NM at 6000feet (24pressure) at 25F so I was pleased that despite the elevation change and temperature (and humidity from 75percent to 20 percent) that the programs worked so well including the Ffs gyroscopic and Coriolos correction. I have to zero at 400 yds with my scope so the moa was 46. Let me know if I can help you more. Best.

ps Jmden. My 12 year old son got his first 3spike management control deer at 447 yds on the last night at sunset across a canyon. That in itself made the trip worthwhile and there is meat in the freezer but needless to say I came in for a lot of ribbing!

ps Jmden. My 12 year old son got his first 3spike management control deer at 447 yds on the last night at sunset across a canyon. That in itself made the trip worthwhile and there is meat in the freezer but needless to say I came in for a lot of ribbing!

Good to get some meat in the freezer and congrats to your son!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.