Factory Savage 111 Long Range Hunter

bigngreen

My dad picked up a mag yesterday, I think it was Shooting Times, and there was a review of the new Savage Model 111 Long Range Hunter.
It was Accustocked and triggered with what looked like a Karstens cheek peice. Med weight barrel with heavy flutes 24in with a brake. The test gun was chambered in a 6.5-284 Norma and it looked like it shot very well all this for a retail price of $664. It isn't on the Savage web site yet. It would seem that Savage is being fairly agressive to give the market what it wants at a price average Joe can afford.
Man I hope we see a Lapua size action soon, I'm dying to have a 338LM or a 338Norma Savage.:D Soooo many guns Soooooo little money:rolleyes:

God bless Ron Coburn and the boys at Savage for making the 6.5-284 a production cartridge. Savage is setting the industry standard for seeing what the market wants, and then filling that need. Obviously an accurate and affordable long range hunting rifle is the latest void Savage is filling and this rifle appears to fill the bill nicely. Nice to see the adjustable cheek piece on it too, although the article said that the "brush grabbing" large knobs on the cheek piece would be replaced by some small streamlined ones. (bummer). Seems the author of the article was looking at this as an all around brush busting rifle and not the long range hunter it was designed to be. I'm anxious to see how the new accustock performs as well. Way to go Savage!!!

Let me stir the pot a bit ... "WTG Savage, maybe Remington will will do the same" :D:rolleyes::cool:

If Remington were to ever do something like that, you could probably have a custom one built for a few hundred more. Remington is getting to were they think pretty highly of there stuff.

Not knocking Remington but it's getting were your average person can't afford their better rifles.
Way to go Savage for looking out for the little guy.

Nathan

I actually wonderrd if I should have went with a Savage 110 FCP-K in .300 Win Mag insteads of a Sendero in .300 RUM.

One deciding factor for me was action length, because I do want to rebarrel to .338 Edge later on.

I've had two Savages, a 7mm Rem Mag and a .325 WSM. Both were great shooters.

I want a 110 FCP-K right now, but I think I will hold my water until after the first of the year. Wait and see what Savage comes out with. Hopefully a long and short action version with all the popular long range chamberings. Also like to see the Accustock redesigned for the long range models with a 2" wide beaver tail. Longer barrel options also.

Last edited:
I really liked the looks of the rifle in the magazine, I would have a different brake made for it in a baffle design. It seems that they are listening to guys when they chamber a short action round in a long action so we can seat long range bullets out where they belong and still cycle through the mag. It sounds like there are a few cals it will be released but I couldn't find any more info.
I have been looking at getting a rifle set up for my wife but I will hang on and hook her up with one of these in the 6.5-284 Norma, install a Edwards recoil reducer in the butt stock and a WOtac scope on top, hopefully she will share:D
Don't get me wrong, if it were up to me I'd order one LRH store but the coin is no where near there and I want to play so Savage is thee game in town.

How about a 338 Lapau in a factory Savage rifle in 2010????

Good source says it going to happen!!!

They are deffinitely paying attention!

Neal

A magnum LRPV (long range precision varminter) would fit the bill nicely. Call it a long range magnum hunter. I'm not interested in a modular rig; I want a more traditional heavy rifle. Offer it with a brake and a cap.

How about a 338 Lapau in a factory Savage rifle in 2010????

Good source says it going to happen!!!

They are deffinitely paying attention!

Neal

You're exactly right Neal. Tom Gresham announced it on GunTalk on Sunday!!!
It is a reality..............just don't tell anyone, I gotta get my name on the waiting list first!!!:D

So much for the GREAT price. The new savage long range hunter is $300 over what Shooting Times reported. I knew from the start it was to good to be true. I guess I will wait for my Custom E.R. Shaw, that has all the features of the 111, with the custom factor it is still $250 less. I knew it wouldn't be long before Savage priced their guns our of the working mans hands just like Remington and Browning.

So much for the GREAT price. The new savage long range hunter is $300 over what Shooting Times reported. I knew from the start it was to good to be true. I guess I will wait for my Custom E.R. Shaw, that has all the features of the 111, with the custom factor it is still $250 less. I knew it wouldn't be long before Savage priced their guns our of the working mans hands just like Remington and Browning.

I too was hoping for around a $650 USD or $800 CAD price.

Considering you could buy a used package rifle, bed the stock and add a prechambered custom barrel for under the MSRP of the long range hunter WHY would anyone buy this rifle.

I can usually get Savage stuff around 200 dollars less than MSRP. I really like the looks rifle, it is similar to the model 12 but would be a lighter package. I think that a guy without tinkeritis would do good with this, drop a Huskemaw scope on it and you have a real nice mid-long range rifle, you will spend time shooting it not tinkering with it.
I figured I can't build this rifle for what I can buy the LR hunter for. You would need a trigger, barrel and brake installed, and bed it in a stock like the B&C Medalist or P-dog special then add the Karstens cheek peice. Just of the top of my head you'd be into it around 1000-1100 dollars.

Looking forward to Len giving it the once over, someone needs to get there hands on one and evaluate it.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.