Factory Savage 111 Long Range Hunter

You all need to do yourselves a favor and look at the guns from E.R. Shaw they make a custom gun for thousands less than other custom companies. Chris Murry is the guy you want to talk to. He will make you one of 100,000 options and the guns are beautiful and they shoot like crazy. If you like shooting a great gun without breaking the bank look them up. ER Shaw Custom Gun Barrels or call Chris at (412)-221-3636 At the website look at making your own custom Mark VII rifle. You can put together a custom gun cheaper than savage is offering the 111 long range hunter.

i1wdc7.jpg

I'm going to look at the Savage at the SHOT Show in 2 weeks.
Len, what was your opinion of the Savage Long Range Hunter. I have had one ordered and paid for at a local, high volume dealer here in Michigan for over a year in 6.5 x 284. I have bought the scope, brass, dies, etc just no gun. I have written Savage, talked to their midwest distributor, all with no luck. Getting ready to go another route. I continue to hear good press so I have tried to be patient. By early spring, my patience is going to run out. Thinking of going the Cooper route. Anyway, your opinion, if positive will help in me remaining patient. Thanks.

sry to b a little late but i own a savage 111 lrh in long range hunter and the thing shoots like a dream iv gotten it down to 1/4 of an inch with Factory ammo!!!! i would recomend this gun from savage it wont let you down.

God bless Ron Coburn and the boys at Savage for making the 6.5-284 a production cartridge. Savage is setting the industry standard for seeing what the market wants, and then filling that need. Obviously an accurate and affordable long range hunting rifle is the latest void Savage is filling and this rifle appears to fill the bill nicely. Nice to see the adjustable cheek piece on it too, although the article said that the "brush grabbing" large knobs on the cheek piece would be replaced by some small streamlined ones. (bummer). Seems the author of the article was looking at this as an all around brush busting rifle and not the long range hunter it was designed to be. I'm anxious to see how the new accustock performs as well. Way to go Savage!!!

Savage has been sending out feelers for about a year now asking what the shooting folks think about them doing a .338-06!!! Now I'd just about have to force myself into having one of them<g>! There also an on and off again deal about doing the 6XC from time to time.
gary

On their website they show it available in 30-06, there are a lot of options on calibers, also other options,

barrel length limits the options though, I want a 26" barrel, and fewer calibers for that. I will probably go with the 06 myself.

I doubt I will be hunting beyond 500 yards, but would love to have a hunting gun I can put some rounds downrange with.

Savage has been sending out feelers for about a year now asking what the shooting folks think about them doing a .338-06!!! Now I'd just about have to force myself into having one of them<g>! There also an on and off again deal about doing the 6XC from time to time.
gary

I keep hoping Savage will make the 338'06 happen. I had heard at one point it was on the list for 2011. It is a great round and would be great to get some manf's to start making brass. This is a must have for me too!

What is the advantage of the 338-06 ?

I am looking at the 30-06 as a compromise of a good hunting round and can still put some rounds down range economically.

What do ther .338-06 price out at in factory and handloading?

I keep hoping Savage will make the 338'06 happen. I had heard at one point it was on the list for 2011. It is a great round and would be great to get some manf's to start making brass. This is a must have for me too!

I honestly think they'll sell a lot more of them, than they think they will. The same can also be said of the 6XC. When they do that .338-06, Remington and others will follow suit as well. I'd kinda like to see them do the .338 RCM as well, or neck it up to .358 and call it a Savage .358 mag.
gary

I would love to see Savage make the 110 FCP HS Precision in .300 RUM and .338 RUM. You get magnum power that is a little cheaper to shoot than the Lapua. I think this would be a big seller.

savage 110 in 6.5 284 with a stockade prairie dog special and a criterion barrel and a rifle basix trigger, with a leupold mark ar on top. its my first custom build. hope it shoots good. only thing supplied by kevin raynhill is the stock. hope it shoots good. 1/2 moa is good for a college student on a budget is good i think. got the dies and the load development in progress.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.