Factory Rifles, sometimes you get lucky

ABSOLUTELY AND MANY OF THEM. The last three for me all Savages. 10TSR in 6.5 sucksmoore and 300WM, Ultralight in 28 Nos. The 300WM is a true one ragged hole rifle with 175 Nosler.

Here is a three shot group from my first range session with a CZ 527 American in 17 Hornet that I had purchased secondhand. I put some loads together real quick just to make sure I was on paper before starting load work up.

Turns out I was on paper and then some!

(Side note: how come this happens with a cartridge that is using under $0.07 in powder and a bullet that costs $0.18, but never the case - personally - with magnums using bullets often exceeding $1.00 each and 7-8x the amount of powder?)

Little hornets are a blast to shoot. I've got a.22mag I'm thinking of selling because I can load my.223 cheaper than I can buy .22 mag ammo.

I bought a Rem 700 ADL in 7mmSAUM on sale for $495 because Rem could not sell them. That was about 15 years ago. I mounted it in a laminated stock and glass bedded it. It always shot great. Here is a couple of targets i recently shot.

Attachments

• 20230223_102442.jpg
    20230223_102442.jpg
    562.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230223_102435.jpg
    20230223_102435.jpg
    569.4 KB · Views: 45
Feel like I got lucky picking this off the shelf factory Sako A7 6.5CM at my LGS for under $1,000. This rifle really likes factory ammo and handloaded 143 ELD-Xs, 140 BTHP, 127 LRX and 124 HH. Below are a couple of photos from a recent range day testing some Hornady 140 BTHP (all 3 shot groups) and 143 ELD-X's (all 4 shot groups) at 100 yards.

Anyone else have similar luck with an off the shelf sub $1,000 rifle?

For those of you who are not familiar with Sako or Tikka rifles this is actually the norm for them and not luck of the draw. Less than 1 MOA out of the box with good factory ammo, even some not so good ammo will produce groups like this all day. It's hard to do better with handloads but it can be done.

For those of you who are not familiar with Sako or Tikka rifles this is actually the norm for them and not luck of the draw. Less than 1 MOA out of the box with good factory ammo, even some not so good ammo will produce groups like this all day. It's hard to do better with handloads but it can be done.
Tikka makes fine rifles, no doubt. It`s a good thing because they`re saddled with Beretta customer service.

Great shooting rifles from MANY brands up and down the budget spectrum. That`s a good thing IMHO.

OK for all of you out there. As you know I like accurate rifles and do my best to make factory out of the box rifles shoot under 1 MOA. I sold the 300 WM and I'm looking for my next challenge. I am hearing all this hype about the 6.8 Western, as well as it's miraculous claims to fame. cirica the 6.5 creepmore. Being somewhat of a connie sewer of he .277 caliber the 6.8 seems interesting. I have actually bought a set of RCBS dies in 6.8. Here comes the rub. I am not a fan of Browning, especially the X Bolt. To my way of thinking they are way overpriced. Conversely the Winchester XPR does not interest me at all, too cheap looking and will probably drop a zillion dollars on resale. The only rifle chambered in 6.8 that is the slightest bit interesting is the Winchester Model 70. Herein comes the rub. I love the Model 70, have two of them and they both shoot way sub MOA. The Model 70 that is chambered for the 6.8 Western is the Super Grade Maple that is absolutely gorgeous but it goes for some $1700. I buy, play and sell. What are your thoughts of a Model 70, which hold value and even appreciate over the years. Will the 6.8 cambering turn it into something not salable or costing a small fortune to sell when I am done with it. Your thoughts??
Model-70-Super-Grade-Maple.jpg

I own several Sako rifles. A couple of 85s and an A7 Roughtech Range with Atlasworks bolt shroud, handle and bottom metal in 300 WM. AISC bottom Metal on the way. All three of them shoot like that. They are half moa guns with just about anything you feed them. My 375 H&H is the only gun of that caliber I have ever been able to free hand off a bag on a bench. The stock ergonomics are incredible. Glad you like it! Look into the aftermarket Atlasworks parts. They turn the A7 into a premium gun. You could not build one close to it for the price. I like the A7 better than the S20. Atlasworks already makes AISC bottom Metal for the rifle you have. Is yours a sporter or the heavy barrel version?
This was actually the first trip to the range after installing the Atlasworks bolt handle, bolt shroud, and AICS bottom metal. I really disliked the factory 3 round Sako A7 magazines and now easily run 5 and 10 round AICS magazines. My barrel is the fluted, sporter profile. I bought an American Precision Arms Gen 3 Micro brake. I know brakes aren't really needed on a 6.5 CM, but I can watch my shots impact when I have the brake installed, which is just more fun at the range. My local range has various sized steel targets out to 600 yards, which is a cake walk for this rifle.

TA, that's one Beauty of a Rifle for sure , sounds like it tips your fancy I'd say buy it if you can get enough brass to shoot it ,and still have some left over to sell with the rifle latter on . Even if the 6.8 stays small popular there's always gonna be some that will scoop it up especially since you have the dies ,and brass, to go with the rifle . Thks for the Picture and post 🧐😉🥳,&and keep us posted !!!, Cheers !!.

OK for all of you out there. As you know I like accurate rifles and do my best to make factory out of the box rifles shoot under 1 MOA. I sold the 300 WM and I'm looking for my next challenge. I am hearing all this hype about the 6.8 Western, as well as it's miraculous claims to fame. cirica the 6.5 creepmore. Being somewhat of a connie sewer of he .277 caliber the 6.8 seems interesting. I have actually bought a set of RCBS dies in 6.8. Here comes the rub. I am not a fan of Browning, especially the X Bolt. To my way of thinking they are way overpriced. Conversely the Winchester XPR does not interest me at all, too cheap looking and will probably drop a zillion dollars on resale. The only rifle chambered in 6.8 that is the slightest bit interesting is the Winchester Model 70. Herein comes the rub. I love the Model 70, have two of them and they both shoot way sub MOA. The Model 70 that is chambered for the 6.8 Western is the Super Grade Maple that is absolutely gorgeous but it goes for some $1700. I buy, play and sell. What are your thoughts of a Model 70, which hold value and even appreciate over the years. Will the 6.8 cambering turn it into something not salable or costing a small fortune to sell when I am done with it. Your thoughts?? View attachment 441419
I am a 700 guy, throug Lhasa and through. But **** those nice model 70's are prrrrruty!

I agree on the sako A7 , I have 2 a 223 and a 25-06 they are the coyote models,both are great shooting rifles...