Factory rifles chambered in 300 PRC

I'd probably look for a 1:9 barrel. Personally I think an 8 twist is overkill. Bullets that require 8tw will run under 2900 fps, ans the lighter bullets running faster are ballisticly better in drop until you get WAY out there. If energy and windage is #1 criteria, then heavier is better.

My yet-to-be-fired 300 PRC has a Bartlein 3B on it and is twisted 1:9.5 (after consultation with Bartlein) as 1) it's 100% hunting and 2) I don't intend on shooting anything heavier than 220 (ELD-x).

went to check out the brownings really liked em but the local importer isn't going to get em in to Australia for a while. Mite be going the custom route again.

I don't know the answer to this question, but is a 1:8 twist preferred for a 300 PRC? I see the Bergara has a 1:9
Barrett runs 1:8 in their 300PRC 26" MRAD (not lightweight...13.4lbs) which SOCOM selected for 50% first round hit probability at 2000 yds...215, 225, 250gr bullets. They could have chosen any twist, but went with 1:8. Nuff said.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.