Factory rifle

1825 but it looks nice. Perhaps someone who's owned a CA can shine in. If it's the exact cal you want and CA owners have been thrilled with it this might fall under the buy once cry once category.

I addition to easily changing barrels on the Savage 110 (I have quite a few barrels I swap from the to time), you can also change the bolt face from standard to magnum so you can be shooting a 243 and in less than an hour you can change the bolt face and barrel to 458 Winchester. If you have a stock that can handle a bull barrel, then all barrels will be free floating. Other actions make it expensive to change the bolt face. When changing bolt faces, equip both bolt faces with the extractor and ejector so you don't have to bother with the pins and springs involved. Change all the firing pins to the small diameter ones to be modern. This is easy stuff... Set the headspace using GO and NOGO gauges, assemble the rifle (always use a torque wrench) and you are ready to go to the range to zero your "new" rifle.

I've been looking into that as well just not sure of who all makes pre-fit barrels
All my center fire rifles are Savages rebarreled with Shilen barrels bought from northland shooter supplies. I tried Shilen because you can still get them blued, and stay with them because they shoot so well. I also use B&C stocks. Its my "recipe".. works great for me.

All my center fire rifles are Savages rebarreled with Shilen barrels bought from northland shooter supplies. I tried Shilen because you can still get them blued, and stay with them because they shoot so well. I also use B&C stocks. Its my "recipe".. works great for me.
Exactly what I'm planning to use for my first savage build. Unfortunately NSS doesn't ship to Canada.

Thats a bummer, they're closer to you than me :) They are easy to deal with and stock a lot of the pre-fit's to ship right out. Just got a criterion for a savage long range gun, beautiful barrel, came in a week. I noticed the shilens are available blued might consider one of them next.

One can buy a new Savage for less than buying a used one, and a barrel and a tool and a headspace gauge. I have a Savage Tactical FP with HS Precision stock and was wanting to convert it to 6.5 PRC. Pre-fit barrels are not inexpensive and the aggregate cost ends up more than a new rifle. I can get a Savage 110 Tactical in 6.5 PRC for right at $600.00 and the Long Range Hunter in 280AI for $850.00. I site that model because it has a 26" barrel, I think a 22" barrel does no justice to a 280AI. Unless you find a used donor rifle for $250-$350 you'll spend more than you would for a new rifle. Notwithstanding the pleasure of building something yourself which can add immense value to the end product, I'm only siting from a monetary perspective.

Thats a bummer, they're closer to you than me :) They are easy to deal with and stock a lot of the pre-fit's to ship right out. Just got a criterion for a savage long range gun, beautiful barrel, came in a week. I noticed the shilens are available blued might consider one of them next.
I've been 30 minutes away from their shop a few times at F class shoots. Frustrating that I can't just stop by and stock up on parts. To many stupid laws.

One can buy a new Savage for less than buying a used one, and a barrel and a tool and a headspace gauge. I have a Savage Tactical FP with HS Precision stock and was wanting to convert it to 6.5 PRC. Pre-fit barrels are not inexpensive and the aggregate cost ends up more than a new rifle. I can get a Savage 110 Tactical in 6.5 PRC for right at $600.00 and the Long Range Hunter in 280AI for $850.00. I site that model because it has a 26" barrel, I think a 22" barrel does no justice to a 280AI. Unless you find a used donor rifle for $250-$350 you'll spend more than you would for a new rifle. Notwithstanding the pleasure of building something yourself which can add immense value to the end product, I'm only siting from a monetary perspective.
I can find used 110s on gunbroker for $250, or about $300 after shipping and ffl. They are pre-accutrigger. If you want to upgrade the trigger, you are in about $425. You could probably by a used accutrigger model for that. Your point is fair, but it's still doable. Add a b&c stock for $300 and a barrel for $300 and you are at near full custom for roughly a grand. Of course those are USD, I can't speak much for our Canadian friends. I think the best arguement against that would be a tikka for $800, 900. Thats a hunting rifle, not a long range set up though.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.