Factory rifle vs custom build

Hello, I am looking at purchasing a 300 prc. I live in AK so want a larger caliber in case I run into a bear. I am wanting to get advice. Should get a custom gun from a place like R bros or get a stock gun from Fierce or Christensen Arms. Full disclosure I do not reload. Someday I may but at this point in my life with working full time, kids and fishing I just don't have time. If I am shooting factory ammo does custom vs higher end factory rifle make a difference?

If I do go custom other than R bros any recommendations.
Thanks for your help
Ryan
I live in Montana and I've killed 3 Black Bear one was well over 600# with my M1 Carbine. You don't need a cannon to kill a Bear.

I am not sure we're you live in Alaska.
If you plan on hunting in very very cold weather Like -35 as you know guns can freeze up in Alaska. Most hunters I know that are hunting North of arctic circle Do not use oil or lube on their guns just for this reason. IF it was me save your money by a Savage maybe a Ruger SS and call it good. Put the saving towards a 8-32x56 or 10-50x60 Sightron lll scope. Life time warranty. You don't have to have those darn binoculars hanging around your neck all Walking. Hands free so much better. Less is more hunting in Alaska. Don't ask me how I know. MD

Tikka doesn't have a 300 prc to my knowledge. I would go full custom. You won't regret it. Custom trigger, action, and a match grade barrel will shoot better than any factory production rifle. Plus you can pick which stock or chassis you like

300 PRC will hurt your shoulder and rear pocket.

No need for a long range gun. Pick a 30-06, 300WM or 300 WSM. Smear your hunting clothes with bacon grease and you'll never have to take a shot over 75 yards. ;) 180 or 200 gr partitions.
I have no problem shooting my 300PRC. My 300WM have more kick than my 300PRC. No problem shooting either gun but I am 6'2" and 225lbs.

Hello, I am looking at purchasing a 300 prc. I live in AK so want a larger caliber in case I run into a bear. I am wanting to get advice. Should get a custom gun from a place like R bros or get a stock gun from Fierce or Christensen Arms. Full disclosure I do not reload. Someday I may but at this point in my life with working full time, kids and fishing I just don't have time. If I am shooting factory ammo does custom vs higher end factory rifle make a difference?

Thanks for your help
Ryan
My 2 cents . Call benchmark barrels. Talk to ron, bill or kortney. They will build you what you want, u wont be dissapointed.

Can't ship ammo to Alaska which really limits the ability to get 300 PRC ammo.

I did not realize places like Midway and such wouldn't ship ammunition to AK. I figured it would just have to ride a barge up there and go to a physical address. Learn something new everyday I guess.

Last edited:
i did not realize places like Midway and such wouldn't ship ammunition to AK. I figured it would just have to ride a barge up there and go to a physical address. Learn something new everyday I guess.
Yeah it's ridiculous, makes it more difficult. There are companies that make a business out of doing the barge loads.

Thanks for your help
Ryan
With working full time and kids and fishing is alot. I would handle some of the better featured box rifles you can. If there is one that has the features you want get it and see what you like and don't like. Maybe over the next couple years do this a couple times with a couple different chamberings. Then when the kids are older and you have some time, and a better idea what you actually want in a rifle, build to suit.

Wow! Great advice all over the place. Remember that before guns came along people were killing all these critters with bows and arrows. Okay, not as efficient as a gun. But when guns came along, they did pretty well. Beginning in the 20th Century there were plenty of guns available that, without any hand loading, would kill anything on the planet. Anything. Yes, if you wanted to shoot something over a couple hundred yards away you had a problem because the sights weren't that good. But today you can get excellent optics that allow people to hit targets a mile away. So first consider what you will be hunting. If you're going hunting as opposed to target shooting, consider "factory" rifles that shoot regular commercially available ammo, put on a good scope and you're set. You can get 1 MOA with many factory rifles and Fierce (and others) guarantees .5 MOA with factory ammo and sends along a target to prove it. That's without reloading. Now, if you want to improve upon that you just about have to get into reloading. Once you go down that slippery slope you wind up getting custom-made guns, spending money on reloading equpment and becoming invested with time and money in a whole different ball game. So consider what you want to do. If it's shoot brown bears at 100 yards your choices are plentiful. But think about what you plan on doing and how far you want to push the envelope.

Give Ryan a call at Peircision Rifles, he makes some of the finest customs rifles out there. He keeps a good stock of parts on hand so his lead times are great and he also builds a certain percentage of rifles each moth to have on hand to sell. He is a great guy and his rifles shoot very small at LR!

Why a 300PRC in the first place? What are you hunting and how far are you shooting?

Regarding a nasty bear encounter, I would start with my 9.3x62 though, a 338WM or 375H&H would also be good options. A 45-70 lever action might also be a good alternative.

I think you might be best served by two factory rifles in more common calibers. In my case a 257 Weatherby Magnum for speed goats, deer, etc. and a big bruiser like a 9.3x62 for close encounters with a nasty bear.

Thanks for your help
Ryan
Long term you be much happier with a custom. All good gunsmiths are backed up about a year right now so you would have a years wait. Sometimes Alamo Precision has custom rifles in stock. With the wait time being what it is my recommendation would be 1) Buy a custom if you can find one built ready to go, 2) Buy a Browning X-bolt and spend time studying what you want to build. Pick the bullet you will use and build the rifle around the bullet. 3) Stay away from CA. With the exception of the rifles owned by members of this board CA is a bottom tier company.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.