Factory rifle vs custom build

Hello, I am looking at purchasing a 300 prc. I live in AK so want a larger caliber in case I run into a bear. I am wanting to get advice. Should get a custom gun from a place like R bros or get a stock gun from Fierce or Christensen Arms. Full disclosure I do not reload. Someday I may but at this point in my life with working full time, kids and fishing I just don't have time. If I am shooting factory ammo does custom vs higher end factory rifle make a difference?

If I do go custom other than R bros any recommendations.
Thanks for your help
Ryan

Go with custom. I have a custom 300PRC built last year by Precision Arms of Tennessee. Shooting 0.5 group at 200 yds. with Berger 215gr. Hybrid Ammo from Hendershots Sporting Goods Inc. (Extreme Custom Ammunition). I took two of my largest Bucks last year at 200 yds. with one shot and drop instantly. Best rifle that I ever had and I have a 300 Win. Mag. Remington Sendero 700 and I have taken one shot and drop at 350 to 400 yds. (Handload Nosler Accubond).
1617642062087.png

Last edited:
300 PRC will hurt your shoulder and rear pocket.

No need for a long range gun. Pick a 30-06, 300WM or 300 WSM. Smear your hunting clothes with bacon grease and you'll never have to take a shot over 75 yards. ;) 180 or 200 gr partitions.

:D Or bacon grease a tote bag instead - in case you have to throw the bait at the bear.

B3FDDE2C-1395-465C-8343-AE61B74C1C1B.jpeg

My 2 Alaska rifles I use for guiding.
Top is a 375 RBH Bottom is a 338 RBH
Muzzle brakes come off for the guide seasons.
375 has a 20 inch barrel which is nice in the thick alders on the peninsula
338 has a 24 inch barrel and is a more all around rifle. I use it for deer and elk here to fill the freezer.
Both built by Travis at RBROS rifles.
Not your 300prc you are thinking about and handload ammo for these. I think you get the best idea some are saying about a 2 rifle setup.
I agree.
Each person has there own perspective.

I live in AK and have a 300 PRC. Factory ammo is nonexistent currently and it doesn't even seem available down in the lower 48. Reloading supplies aren't exactly very plentiful either at the moment. The one downfall with using a factory rifle is not many rifles have adequate magazine spacing for a 300 PRC. I'd honestly recommend a 300 win mag, 300 weatherby or 300 rum if you don't reload. I took a moose last year with a 300 win mag, no worries at all.
I have hunted AK pretty extensively, from Kotzebue/Kobuk area, north of Bristol Bay, Kodiak, the Alaska Penn, and around Wrangell/St Elias as well as north of ANC. The only bears I have ever encountered were on dedicated bear hunts. I would second what jwbronco says, but I would also add one caliber you have not mentioned but one I shot most of my non-caribou game with: a .338 Win Mag. I used a .375 H&H on my last moose hunt; next time I am bringing a .300 RUM.

I have hunted AK pretty extensively, from Kotzebue/Kobuk area, north of Bristol Bay, Kodiak, the Alaska Penn, and around Wrangell/St Elias as well as north of ANC. The only bears I have ever encountered were on dedicated bear hunts. I would second what jwbronco says, but I would also add one caliber you have not mentioned but one I shot most of my non-caribou game with: a .338 Win Mag. I used a .375 H&H on my last moose hunt; next time I am bringing a .300 RUM.
338 win mag, 35 Whalen, 9.3x62 and 375 h&h/Ruger are great calibers. I have been seeing 375 h&h still available but only the more expensive stuff. Good thing is you won't spend a day at the range shooting it.

Some manufacturers offer a sub-MOA guarantee - Sako, Tikka, TC, Vanguard. I know nothing about guns, and my Sako A7 in 270 Win shot .25 groups out of the box with Federal Fusion and Federal Premium factory ammo. Plenty good enough for my needs :D. Enough gun for any NA game except self-defense from the big bears - then I'd want a bigger bullet.
By way of reference, the minimum legal cartridge for dangerous game in South Africa is .375.

I have no problem shooting my 300PRC. My 300WM have more kick than my 300PRC. No problem shooting either gun but I am 6'2" and 225lbs.

Some manufacturers offer a sub-MOA guarantee - Sako, Tikka, TC, Vanguard. I know nothing about guns, and my Sako A7 in 270 Win shot .25 groups out of the box with Federal Fusion and Federal Premium factory ammo. Plenty good enough for my needs :D. Enough gun for any NA game except self-defense from the big bears - then I'd want a bigger bullet.
By way of reference, the minimum legal cartridge for dangerous game in South Africa is .375.
Most of the factory rifles won't accept the factory length of a SAAMI 300 PRC. Don't assume you can rebarrel just any random rifle. Howa 1500 has the least expensive entry to shoot 300 PRC and im pretty sure it could be reamed out to 300 ultra mag or 30-378 weatherby later.

338 win mag, 35 Whalen, 9.3x62 and 375 h&h/Ruger are great calibers. I have been seeing 375 h&h still available but only the more expensive stuff. Good thing is you won't spend a day at the range shooting it.

I've seen most of it available at Sportsman's Warehouse and a couple other shops I frequent. I haven't seen PRC anywhere except online. Most of the above is available online and in the case of the 9.3X62 way cheaper than the $6.00 per round the .300 PRC is selling for online.

I've seen most of it available at Sportsman's Warehouse and a couple other shops I frequent. I haven't seen PRC anywhere except online. Most of the above is available online and in the case of the 9.3X62 way cheaper than the $6.00 per round the .300 PRC is selling for online.
Can't ship ammo to Alaska which really limits the ability to get 300 PRC ammo.

If your only worried about running into a bear you sure as hell don't need a custom!
Any off the rack large bore rifle capable of 1.5 moa will be all you need.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.