Factory rifle vs custom build

You don't reload, so what you need to do is go down to where you buy ammunition and see what is available. I'd also check online and see what you can readily get shipped to you. That is where I'd go before I'd arbitrarily pick the .300 PRC, especially with the current situation on ammunition.

Also where do you mainly hunt in AK? Do you boat hunt, need a bush plane, or can you drive to where you hunt? Are you needing a short, packable, and quick handling rifle or do you need a long barreled rifle that's best suited for prone shots off a pack or bipod, and you aren't concerned with portability? If you're truly worried about close up bear encounters with grizzly or brownies, I'd probably opt for a LPVO on a 20-22" barreled rifle that was capable of being accurate to 400-600 yards over a 26+" barreled custom .300 PRC capable of reaching much further.

I've only hunted SE Alaska a couple of times for black bear and wolf so I don't have much reference for the rest of the state, but unless we were on tidal flats or an old clear cut there wasn't much need for a long range rifle. Even then the shots weren't really over 500 yards, we helped another party from our lodge track a wounded bear into the forest. I can tell you once we got off the shoreline and into the woods of SE Alaska, I was glad I was packing around a stubby old M700 ADL rifle in .30-06.

So what will be more useful for where you hunt a rifle like the Ruger Alaskan Rifle, or a Seekins/CA factory rifle or similar spec custom build.

Last edited:
My 2 cents is to buy a Browning X-Bolt Long Range with the McMillan stock (or get a Fierce if they make one) in a .300 Ultra Mag or .30 Nosler. You CAN actually still find ammo for them if you look. Unless you know of a steady supplier up there, you won't find .300 PRC anytime soon. They said it would be better when we got Nosler, ADG, and Lapua making brass. Don't think Lapua isboutvyet but the other 2 are and you still can't find brass, let alone ammo. Big consideration!

Hello, I am looking at purchasing a 300 prc. I live in AK so want a larger caliber in case I run into a bear. I am wanting to get advice. Should get a custom gun from a place like R bros or get a stock gun from Fierce or Christensen Arms. Full disclosure I do not reload. Someday I may but at this point in my life with working full time, kids and fishing I just don't have time. If I am shooting factory ammo does custom vs higher end factory rifle make a difference?

If I do go custom other than R bros any recommendations.
Thanks for your help
Ryan
Buy you a gun like a Bergara for $1,000.00 and call it good.

Ducky makes some good points. I don't think I'd go custom if your limiting yourself to factory ammo IMO. Given Bears are a concern I'd go minimum .338 caliber but, again IMO.

I think you could do great either way. Tikka probably makes the best mass produced 'off the shelf' factory rifle on the market; shoots better than most guys can. I think Seekins is the best bang for your buck in the factory game in that mid level price range. But full custom is the way to go, once you do, it changes you forever; the control and feel are second to none. In the middle ground are the 'semi-customs' I think MOA Rifles makes a great rifle just below custom cost with a quicker turnaround; the options are more limited than custom, but they use top quality components. Customer service is great; they really know their stuff and can get you into something you would be extremely happy with.

You don't reload, so what you need to do is go down to where you buy ammunition and see what is available. I'd also check online and see what you can readily get shipped to you. That is where I'd go before I'd arbitrarily pick the .300 PRC, especially with the current situation on ammunition.

Also where do you mainly hunt in AK? Do you boat hunt, need a bush plane, or can you drive to where you hunt? Are you needing a short, packable, and quick handling rifle or do you need a long barreled rifle that's best suited for prone shots off a pack or bipod, and you aren't concerned with portability? If you're truly worried about close up bear encounters with grizzly or brownies, I'd probably opt for a LPVO on a 20-22" barreled rifle that was capable of being accurate to 400-600 yards over a 26+" barreled custom .300 PRC capable of reaching much further.

I've only hunted SE Alaska a couple of times for black bear and wolf so I don't have much reference for the rest of the state, but unless we were on tidal flats or an old clear cut there wasn't much need for a long range rifle. Even then the shots weren't really over 500 yards, we helped another party from our lodge track a wounded bear into the forest. I can tell you once we got off the shoreline and into the woods of SE Alaska, I was glad I was packing a round a stubby old M700 ADL rifle in .30-06.

So what will be more useful for where you hunt a rifle like the Ruger Alaskan Rifle, or a Seekins/CA factory rifle or similar spec custom build.

I've only hunted SE Alaska a couple of times for black bear and wolf so I don't have much reference for the rest of the state, but unless we were on tidal flats or an old clear cut there wasn't much need for a long range rifle. Even then the shots weren't really over 500 yards, we helped another party from our lodge track a wounded bear into the forest. I can tell you once we got off the shoreline and into the woods of SE Alaska, I was glad I was packing around a stubby old M700 ADL rifle in .30-06.

We hunt differently depending on the year. I know one gun doesn't fit all, but I am trying to make that happen. If moose hunting it's all pretty close less than 300 yards. If goat hunting could be much farther. I don't think I would really want to go past 600 yards.

A4E828D4-5F32-412C-8520-3A74100E3B9A.jpeg
I went with Rbros on this in 300prc. I think it really comes down to if you want a custom or not. With now days rifles you'll get some that shoot 1/2moa, but you may not get every feature you want. This one checked every box on my list and I couldn't be happier with it.

We hunt differently depending on the year. I know one gun doesn't fit all, but I am trying to make that happen. If moose hunting it's all pretty close less than 300 yards. If goat hunting could be much farther. I don't think I would really want to go past 600 yards.

Then you don't need a custom built .300 PRC, you need a jack of all trades rifle. I'd probably look and see if you can find a Winchester M70 SS Classic .300 WM/WSM and up cut the barrel to 22", and drop it in nice custom stock, throw a optic that starts around 1.5-2 power and maxes around 10 and go hunting.

The big difference for me is the fit and balance of a custom. I know alot of guys that buy factory rifles and they kick so they put on a brake ,then a stock, then have a smith install a pad, trigger,shipping etc. when their done they're within a few hundred dollars of a custom. On the other hand I know a bunch of guys that love and shoot their factory rifles and some shoot better groups than some of my customs. For years I bought my donner 700's at pawn shops cheap not any more! Just my two cents worth,look at all the options.

Hello, I am looking at purchasing a 300 prc. I live in AK so want a larger caliber in case I run into a bear. I am wanting to get advice. Should get a custom gun from a place like R bros or get a stock gun from Fierce or Christensen Arms. Full disclosure I do not reload. Someday I may but at this point in my life with working full time, kids and fishing I just don't have time. If I am shooting factory ammo does custom vs higher end factory rifle make a difference?

Thanks for your help
Ryan
I would go with MOA rifles out of Redmond Oregon you could go carbon or steel barrels and pick what McMillan stock fits your needs!!

CA has a one MOA guarantee and excellent customer service. I am pretty sure Fierce has a 0.5" guarantee. I have a CA ridgeline in 300 prc and it is a shooter capable of 0.5" groups at 100 yards if I do my part. However, factory Hornady hunting ammo shoots 1.5" average out of my gun. I've only been able to get good results with hand loading. I would recommend investing in reloading equipment. I think that's the best way to maximize accuracy and would be a better investment than a custom rifle. You can get affordable factory rifles to shoot very well with hand loads.

Thanks for your help
Ryan
I live in AK and have a 300 PRC. Factory ammo is nonexistent currently and it doesn't even seem available down in the lower 48. Reloading supplies aren't exactly very plentiful either at the moment. The one downfall with using a factory rifle is not many rifles have adequate magazine spacing for a 300 PRC. I'd honestly recommend a 300 win mag, 300 weatherby or 300 rum if you don't reload. I took a moose last year with a 300 win mag, no worries at all.

300 PRC will hurt your shoulder and rear pocket.

No need for a long range gun. Pick a 30-06, 300WM or 300 WSM. Smear your hunting clothes with bacon grease and you'll never have to take a shot over 75 yards. ;) 180 or 200 gr partitions.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.