Factory Rifle or Build Up???

Dust270WSM

I am wanting to get ya'lls opinion on what I should do.

What I am wanting is a hard hitting flat shooting rifle that I can use at long ranges for hunting and steel shooting. That also can buck this Oklahoma wind. And not competition steel just going out by myself or with friends and be able to ring a steel target at 1000 plus. But its main purpose will be for deer and elk hunting.

And I don't make a bunch of money so I have to work on a budget. So I figured I could spend approx. $1000 to $2000 and get what I am looking for.

Trying to get the best bang for my buck....

I do reload so it will be hand loaded for.

1st Option: A factory rifle like a Remington Sendero or a Savage. Something along them kinda lines. Where they both have good triggers or can be adjusted to be good ones along with decent stocks that I can bed or get an aftermarket one that is really good. Caliber wise I figured around a 7mmMag, STW or 300 in either long or short?? But can use your opinions on caliber to!!!

OR

2nd Option: To do a build up. I have an old Remington action in 30-06 that was my wifes grandpas and its got a few rust issues that will have to be taken out and cera-koted but will be ok. And not sure what calibers would be able to be done in this action or recommended by ya'll?

OR

3rd Option: Buy a cheap Remington from Academy or online and build up off of it in a Magnum caliber?

What I am wanting is a hard hitting flat shooting rifle that I can use at long ranges for hunting and steel shooting. That also can buck this Oklahoma wind. And not competition steel just going out by myself or with friends and be able to ring a steel target at 1000 plus. But its main purpose will be for deer and elk hunting.

And I don't make a bunch of money so I have to work on a budget. So I figured I could spend approx. $1000 to $2000 and get what I am looking for.

1st Option: A factory rifle like a Remington Sendero or a Savage. Something along them kinda lines. Where they both have good triggers or can be adjusted to be good ones along with decent stocks that I can bed or get an aftermarket one that is really good. Caliber wise I figured around a 7mmMag, STW or 300 in either long or short?? But can use your opinions on caliber to!!!

OR

2nd Option: To do a build up. I have an old Remington action in 30-06 that was my wifes grandpas and its got a few rust issues that will have to be taken out and cera-koted but will be ok. And not sure what calibers would be able to be done in this action or recommended by ya'll?

OR

3rd Option: Buy a cheap Remington from Academy or online and build up off of it in a Magnum caliber?
The 300wm and 7mm STW are both good choices. The 7mm RM will also fit the bill.

If you want something special and unique start checking gunbroker and armslist as well as the LRH classifieds and find a Wichester Laredo or Winchester Classic Sharpshooter in the WM or STW. While you're looking see if you can find a Sendero in 300wm or STW.

None of the above are easy to come by but they can occasionally be found and they are terrific platforms.

The New Remington 700 LR comes in 300wm and all you'd need to do is replace the trigger and bed it and you should have a great shooter.

If you really want a top of the line LR rig, plan on saving a little longer so you can invest in a really high quality scope to go along with the rig. The Leupold VX6 and Nightforce SHV's are good entry level LR scopes and so too are the Mark4's. You want a top end magnification of 20-25x but you can get by with as little as 14x on the top end.

I've seen deer sized and smaller game killed with at little as a 10x but that's getting down towards the bottom for LR work.

On the bottom end though you don't want higher than 4-6x because you will occasionally be planning on an LR hunt but that trophy of a lifetime pops out at under 100yds and more than 6x will be a detriment at close range.

If you go with the Rem 700 in any platform you have an endless supply of aftermarket parts and accessories that are easily obtainable as well.

My preference runs towards the Winchester Model 70's but I own Remingtons as well.

Good luck and welcome.

OR

OR

Does your budget include optics, or is that separate?

If $2,000 was my budget including optics, here is what I would do....This is just me, others opinions I'm sure will be different...

You would be cheapest to buy a Sendero SFII in 7mm RemMag and have the chamber opened up to 7mm STW. Then have it bedded, swap in a Jewell, true the action, and lap the barrel, then re-crown it. EGW HD 20 MOA base, Seekins Precision 30mm Low rings, and a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50.

I would save grandpa's old gun for building a wicked heavy barreled .25-06 AI for varmints and close deer and coyotes.

These are just what I would do if I had $2k to play around with, and was in your shoes.

Of course, I already have 2 7mm STW's, and a .25-06 AI, so I know exactly what you're missing out on.... :D:D:D

Sorry. Yes my budget is just the gun. I have a brand new Vortex Viper PST 6X24X50 2nd focal that I'm pretty sure will handle it. I hope anyways. Lol...and yes I love the ballistics of the STW and my uncle has 2 remington STWs that he loves to. So was thinkin that caliber to.

ALSO what about a Savage??? Read a lot about there accuracy outta the box??

Sorry. Yes my budget is just the gun. I have a brand new Vortex Viper PST 6X24X50 2nd focal that I'm pretty sure will handle it. I hope anyways. Lol...

Well that opens up a WHOLE new world of opportunities. LOL

Find a cheap used 700 SPS, snatch it apart and scrap-bin everthing, except the action, bolt, and bottom metal/mag assembly. Get it blueprinted. Get a Jewell. Get a Bartlein 5R 7mm 1:9 barrel in Rem Sendero/Varmint contour. Finish it out to 26-28". Chamber for 7mm STW. Bed it all into a Manners stock. Order an EGW HD 20MOA base, and some Seekins Precision 30mm Low rings. You should be done.

That would be a hell of a LR rig for pushing the big 180 Berger Hybrids.

And I still stand the same on Grandpa's old 700. Keep it in the closet until later. You can use the wood stock, and build a wicked varmint rifle out of it.

So a guy I found that has a gun store here local has a Remington 700 almost new in 7mmMag for $399 is a good start.

So a guy I found that has a gun store here local has a Remington 700 almost new in 7mmMag for $399 is a good start.

If it is a SPS or a BDL, then that would be a heck of a start. If not, you're gonna have to spend about $100-150 on a BDL bottom metal/mag setup.

If you really want to be budget conscience, I would wait until October through December as the Rems and Savages go on nice sales. The vortex HS and HST models are your ticket for best value. 7 RM, STW, and .300 WM are all good options. I am not a 30-06 fan and always end up having smith work done to a new factory gun so I would consider building on that old action.
You'll see a remarkable difference in a $1k scope over a $500 one. Check the forums here for some nice prices on used ones.
It would be hard to impress me with the 1k yards for $1k total package but that is another subject.

I would have to agree with MUD buy a 5R or a Sendero 300 win have it bedded throw in a good trigger and your off to the races!!! No wait time for a build but the guns do shoot really well or look for a good used custom .

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.