Factory or Hilljack Hack?

I picked this up used. In the bolt recess is this rubber deal. I imagine it's purpose is as a soft buffer/bumper for the bolt handle to hit softer?
View attachment 432843
View attachment 432844
Had a similar situation, smith who bent the bolt on my mauser made an error when repositioning the handle to bolt. Had to add a "spacer" for proper functioning.

My guess is that he has the trigger weight adjusted as low as possible.

You can set a target accurigger light enough that it trips if you close the bolt too hard. Adding a buffer like that will prevent the "bump" when closing the bolt from tripping the trigger. I've seen this when those triggers are adjusted below about 9oz.

My guess is that he has the trigger weight adjusted as low as possible.

You can set a target accurigger light enough that it trips if you close the bolt too hard. Adding a buffer like that will prevent the "bump" when closing the bolt from tripping the trigger. I've seen this when those triggers are adjusted below about 9oz.
I took it off and there is some slop in the bolt without it when bolt is close. Reistalled, and its nice. I'll keep it!

He had the trigger at 1.5lbs. Now, I might drop that to 1lb.

In case some of you are unaware, Savage has 3 different Accutriggers: Standard (min 2.5-5 lbs), Tactical (min 1.5lbs) and Target (under 1lb). The Tactical is silver and the red colored trigger is their Target Accutrigger.

I took it off and there is some slop in the bolt without it when bolt is close. Reistalled, and its nice. I'll keep it!

He had the trigger at 1.5lbs. Now, I might drop that to 1lb.
The Target triggers are very usable down to around 9-10oz. They can't match a good target trigger like a Jewell, but they're pretty nice for a factory option. If you get it tuned right, you can remove the safety trigger with no issues.

Its a factory savage part on their target rifles
Look at the bolt handle is where it belongs to cushion the bolt before it hits the action due to the very light target trigger