Factory loads for a prohunter in 7mm mag

Death Ray 7

I have a Pro Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag that is giving me fits. It shoots 3-4" triangle-shaped groups with several different factory loads.

If it was horizontal stringing, I'd know it was because of the heavy trigger pull. But even with a heavy trigger I should still be able to hold better groups.

I shoot a fouling shot then a three shot group. I clean it until the patches come out light gray. Then I run 2 dry patches thru it.

I broke the barrel in correctly (1 shot then clean it for the first ten shots, after 2 shots clean it for the next ten, then no more than 4 shots without cleaning it).

I'm shooting off a Caldwell adjustable front sand bag and a Caldwell rear bag, with the forend on the bag (not the barrel).

I've free-floated the forend as much as possible, only the retaining screws contact the barrel (I ground the barrel channel so no other parts touch).

I've tried HSM 162gr BTSP, Black Hills Gold 162gr AMAX, and Remington 165gr BTSP.

It's topped with T/C bases and rings, and I've re-checked tightness. Burris Signature Select 4-16x 44mm that I checked on another rifle and it held zero just fine.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I tried the same ammo above in an accurized Sendero and everything shot less than an inch. And the AMAX and the Remington ammo shot around 1/2 inch.

Has anybody found a factory load that shoots out of their pro-hunter? Maybe try 140gr ballistic tips? I'd like to find a factory load that shoots.

I know, I know. Get my stoney point length guage and see how long they cut the throat at the factory and play with some handloads. But I was hoping to find a factory load that would shoot decent.

For the encore you should check the hinge pin fisrt, and see if there is play when your barrel is locked up, chances are theres alot of play which means you should get a bigger diameter pin. And check this website out it has all the info and parts for the encores you will need to get it to shoot great. I have a encore 50 cal muzzle loader and it is a .5inch grop gun at 100 yards with the upgrades i did to it, Trigger spring 1.2Lbs, hinge pin #2 nad honed all internal parts of the trigger. The site is Mike Bellm Custom TCs
Elmer

Elmerdeer-

Thank you so much. I knew there was a gunsmith that did accurizing on Encores but couldn't remember.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.