Factory load chrono numbers for the .300 RUM

Overkill338

How many of you have run factory ammo out of your .300 RUM's across a chrono ?

My reloading stuff hasn't arrived, so I havent gotten to start loading for my Sendero yet. A friend gave me a few older (6+ years old) Remington 180gr loads for it, so I could shoot it a few times. Not sure if it was the cloudy day or not, but it only showed an average of 3180. Does that sound about right ?

That sound a little slow in a 26" barrel.
The only factory load I've chronoed in the 200 grain nosler partition load.
26" barrel, ohler 35, 3154 fps avg.

How many of you have run factory ammo out of your .300 RUM's across a chrono ?

My reloading stuff hasn't arrived, so I havent gotten to start loading for my Sendero yet. A friend gave me a few older (6+ years old) Remington 180gr loads for it, so I could shoot it a few times. Not sure if it was the cloudy day or not, but it only showed an average of 3180. Does that sound about right ?

That sounds about right .

The SAAMI spec for the 180gr load is 3250 @ 65,000 psi .

A re loader can get a little more but it will exceed the SAAMI pressures.

This is in a test barrel and they are typically a little faster than a factory barrel.

J E CUSTOM

I bought a box of factory remington 180 core lock ultra's for my 300 when I first built it so that I could shoot it. They cronoed at about 3350 but only shot about a 1.5 inch group. 3250 shoots much better out of my barrel, although now that I have changed powder from rl 22 to h 1000 my velocity is up to about 3325 with very good accuracy.

The chrono was a Chrony F1, and it was very cloudy, so we didnt put the screens on it. It was my first time using a chrono, so that could have contributed to it. The general result seems to be 3300+ from factory ammo from all the people I have asked today.

How far away from the muzzle should the chrono be, and how high above the chrono should you be shooting ?

I chronographed the first run of factory bullets back in 1998 or so. They were remington 180 grain nosler partitions. Averaged 3334 fps for 5 shots out of a 28" 1-10 twist custom Hart barrel. Very consistent and very accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.