Factory equivalents to .30 Cody Express and .338-416 Rigby Improved?

JKO

Just curious:

I have a .30 Cody Express (a/k/a .30-416 Rigby Ackley Improved; the variant with the 40-degree shoulder) long-range hunting/benchrest rifle, and I was wondering if anyone out there knew of a factory equivalent--that is, if there's a factory round with the same dimensions.

As anyone here knows, it's strictly a handloader's proposition, and I haven't the skills for that. So, unless there's a dimensionally identical factory round (such as the Lazzeroni 7.82mm (.308) Warbird), my only option is to deal with a custom ammunition manufacturer.

The same question applies to the .338-416 Improved (Lazzeroni equivalent: 8.59mm (.338) Titan), as I'd like to have a switch-barrel rifle built someday.

Thanks in advance for any replies or advice.

I have a few fire form and cut brass type guns. They are not for everybody.

I'm a pround owner/reloader of the 30-378 Weatherby. I was down at the gun store and saw 338-378 brass for the same price. With case capacity of @ 120grains either of these case have more than enough HP to push a bullet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dispite what Lazzeroni claims from his high performance magnums, in REAL rifles, the 30-378 and 338-378 will top both of his 30 and 338 magnums in performance with same bullets, barrel length and pressures.

These two are very close to what you can get in performance with the wildcats you list but of course are not interchangable by any means.

Kirby Allen(50)

Acquiring such specialized equipment is a stroke of luck but I don't see why you can't reload your own cartridges...the process is simple to acquire, but after years of reloading you're always learning more...equipment in relatively inexpensive for initial purchase and can last generations...cost of basic components, especially for only one or two calibers is negligible...set of dies, a couple or three powders and bullets for experimenting, some brass (maybe) and some primers and you're done…and cost of the finished product would be from 35% to 65% of retail price, depending on quantity purchased and from whom…

The 338 Lapua mag is roughly 0.200" shorter in case length then the 338-416 Rigby.

As such performance is higher with the Rigby case given equal chamber pressures and barrel lengths. I will say the Lapua case will on averge handle higher pressures then the Rigby case though.

Case diameter is the same for both rounds.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.