Factory Browning 7mm wsm Very Accurate!

318lll9740

So my birthday was last week and I just completed my WSM collection. I purchased a browning 7 wsm w/o the boss and I liked the caliber a lot. So much I decided that I wanted the A-bolt in stainless with the BOSS. Gotta say it was a great present to myself This was the last caliber in the wsm family I needed to acquire and which I started with it instead. I have 2 tikka 270 wsm's, which shoot very well(several .25 moa groups), but can sometimes be finicky. The 325 wsm is an A-bolt composite stalker with a super thin barrel profile that needs a lot of cooling to obtain .75 moa groups of 3 shots. My wife has the pleasure of shooting the 300 wsm, which is a savage with a sporter profile that is in a boyds varmint stock. It shoots 125 NBT in tiny groups. It definitely fills the accuracy and power niche, but I feel the .30 caliber needs too heavy of a projectile to reap great benefits.
20150227_120110_zpspjhkeojz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Now on to my favorite, the 7 wsm. I found a new, old stock stainless stalker with the boss and I think I may have found my do it all rifle. It wears a 3.5-10x40 VXIII and has been producing some of the best groups I have ever shot, especially considering this a hunting rifle. Here are three groups from the last two days of shooting. It started grouping halfway thru barrel break in, but I resisted temptation to bypass break in and finished completely with a shoot-cleanx10. This first group was at 150 yds directly after 10 shot clean break in
20150420_114528_zpshfknenyu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
These next 2 groups were at 100 yards, two different loads, cleaning after 3 shot groups.
20150420_193949_zpschoyvlq0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20150420_194038_zpsldmd25kf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Needless to say, I think I will be sticking with Browning!

Last edited:
thats awesome! great shooting rifle. my abolt hunter 300wsm shoots pretty good. will shoot .5moa if i single load 185 berger vld (magazine is too short) and shoot 185gr classic hunters to .75moa an still fit in magazine. Do you have any good 150gr 270wsm loads? enjoy your 7wsm!

It seems everyone is out of 150 grain Nosler BT and that's what I would like to use. I tried some factory winchester 150 grain and it was horrible. So bad I didn't even shoot the remaining rounds and used my bullet puller instead. The factory federal 160 shot just as bad too. It's amazing how fast the factory loads are though, the 150 chronied at 3200 and the 160 made 3000. I can reach the 160 speeds no problem with my handloads, but the 3200 out of a 150 has been unattainable. Yesterday I was able to get 3300 out of 71.5 grains of 7828 and pretty good accuracy too. Keep u posted!

What about the new 7mm lr accubond offerings? They are common at stores around me. My uncle shoots 160 accubonds (I think) through his old sako 280 with great results on game. Not near the meat loss as the BT. BT will put them down hard though!

I havent explored the LR line of bullets, but I do have some 162 amaxs that I just found the powder charge needed. Hopefully this afternoon I will get a chance to see how they group. The nosler BT is a very explosive round, especially when driven hard. Its the accuracy and the cost that keep me using nosler bt's. If a rifle wont shoot them, generally it just wont shoot. For hunting I tend to use either barnes or berger. I shoot almost daily though, so again, the cheap noslers make my addiction affordable. If I do need to use the BT's on game, I have found that nothing around east Texas takes more than a step after a good neck shot.

Just got in from shooting a few more groups with the 162 match hornady and 140 noz. The 162 shot .75" 3 shot group and the nosler 140 printed a .78" 4 shot group. The third shot in that group I pulled, if you subtract it the 4th shot went with the first two, making the group around .35". Thus will definitely be my hunting rifle this year. Great size and accuracy, only drawback is extreme noise made form brake. Oh well, I need to be wearing when shooting anyway.

sounds like you have another shooter. Perhaps with some seating tuning, maybe a long range ladder test you could get those A-max dialed in too. I really want a break on my next rifle but am concerned about the noise. might have to spring for some of those earplugs that amplify quite sounds and block loud ones

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.