Factory bought or build for 270 WSM

Maq Attaq

I have read a bunch and have seen the Sako A7 Tecomante in 270 WSM. Really like this rifle all around. I have a couple of Sako and really like the feal they have. I own the following stock rifles

Sako Finnbear 300 Win Mag. All original from 1983. Would like to leave it alone without any modifications. Don't hunt with it much anymore, a bit heavy

Remington XCR 7mm Rem Mag. Use this one mostly on my Texas hunts. Great shooting rifle

Tikka T3 lite in 300 WSM. This has a 21 3/4" barrel. Love the feel and accuracy of this rifle. But am not partial to the shorter barrel

My question is , can I convert my 300wsm into a 270 WSM? If so, what barrel is recommended? In thinking of a Heavy Barrel, so I would also need a stock recommendation.

Option B: buy the Tecomonte

Thanks

You will love the 270WSM no matter which route you go. I have one other option you can look into for a factory rifle. The Browning M-1000 Eclipse. I can testify to the accuracy of this rifle. It comes with a 26" bull barrel hinged floor plate with removable mag. Free floated thumbhole stock. Out of the 7 different bullets I have loaded for mine the largest group mine has shot has been just over .900 at 100yds. So far 508yds is the Longest shot I have been able to take on a deer.

IMG_9741.jpg

And here is the proof
IMG_3090.jpg

This load is smoking. 130gr Barnes tsx, 75gr Magpro, WLRM primer, norma brass, bullet seated .005 off lands, 3508fps.
This group measured .138 which is the best i have shot with it I typically see about .250 with this load.

I have read a bunch and have seen the Sako A7 Tecomante in 270 WSM. Really like this rifle all around. I have a couple of Sako and really like the feal they have.

Tikka T3 lite in 300 WSM. This has a 21 3/4" barrel. Love the feel and accuracy of this rifle. But am not partial to the shorter barrel

My question is , can I convert my 300wsm into a 270 WSM? If so, what barrel is recommended? In thinking of a Heavy Barrel, so I would also need a stock recommendation.

Thanks

Funny thing you should say that. I'm looking forward to re barreling my
Winchester CRF 270 wsm to 300 wsm. So I can shoot heavier bullets.

Might be cheaper/better to just trade rifles with somebody. :D

I would rebarrel the 300WSM, you always gain by putting a custom barrel on IMO! Get a 1-9 twist and have it throated for the 165+gr 270 bullets and enjoy :D

X2 with bigngreen!!

IMO, factory barrels and factory cut chambers are a crap shoot. That's not to say I haven't had some fine shooting off the shelf rifles but I'll take a rifle with a custom barrel every time. Not only do you get a better quality barrel but you also get a better cut chamber, too!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.