Factory bought or build for 270 WSM

Maq Attaq

I have read a bunch and have seen the Sako A7 Tecomante in 270 WSM. Really like this rifle all around. I have a couple of Sako and really like the feal they have. I own the following stock rifles

Sako Finnbear 300 Win Mag. All original from 1983. Would like to leave it alone without any modifications. Don't hunt with it much anymore, a bit heavy

Remington XCR 7mm Rem Mag. Use this one mostly on my Texas hunts. Great shooting rifle

Tikka T3 lite in 300 WSM. This has a 21 3/4" barrel. Love the feel and accuracy of this rifle. But am not partial to the shorter barrel

My question is , can I convert my 300wsm into a 270 WSM? If so, what barrel is recommended? In thinking of a Heavy Barrel, so I would also need a stock recommendation.

Option B: buy the Tecomonte

Thanks

wnc-coyote

You will love the 270WSM no matter which route you go. I have one other option you can look into for a factory rifle. The Browning M-1000 Eclipse. I can testify to the accuracy of this rifle. It comes with a 26" bull barrel hinged floor plate with removable mag. Free floated thumbhole stock. Out of the 7 different bullets I have loaded for mine the largest group mine has shot has been just over .900 at 100yds. So far 508yds is the Longest shot I have been able to take on a deer.

And here is the proof

This load is smoking. 130gr Barnes tsx, 75gr Magpro, WLRM primer, norma brass, bullet seated .005 off lands, 3508fps.
This group measured .138 which is the best i have shot with it I typically see about .250 with this load.

4bycamper

I have read a bunch and have seen the Sako A7 Tecomante in 270 WSM. Really like this rifle all around. I have a couple of Sako and really like the feal they have.

Tikka T3 lite in 300 WSM. This has a 21 3/4" barrel. Love the feel and accuracy of this rifle. But am not partial to the shorter barrel

My question is , can I convert my 300wsm into a 270 WSM? If so, what barrel is recommended? In thinking of a Heavy Barrel, so I would also need a stock recommendation.

Thanks
Funny thing you should say that. I'm looking forward to re barreling my
Winchester CRF 270 wsm to 300 wsm. So I can shoot heavier bullets.

Might be cheaper/better to just trade rifles with somebody. :D

bigngreen

I would rebarrel the 300WSM, you always gain by putting a custom barrel on IMO! Get a 1-9 twist and have it throated for the 165+gr 270 bullets and enjoy :D

B23

X2 with bigngreen!!

IMO, factory barrels and factory cut chambers are a crap shoot. That's not to say I haven't had some fine shooting off the shelf rifles but I'll take a rifle with a custom barrel every time. Not only do you get a better quality barrel but you also get a better cut chamber, too!!

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce