factory barrel 7 Mag for long range hunting?

barreltwister

Last year I came across an interesting Rem 700 in 7 Rem Mag.

It's an ADL/FS, has a grey painted factory installed Brown Precision stock.

This thing is VERY accurate with a 150 gr Ballistic Tip and 63 grs of H4350 at 3100 fps.

I shot it on paper last October and again today.

Five groups of three shots each at 100 meters(109 yards) averaged .688, smallest group was .470

Five groups of three shots each at 200 meters(218 yards) averaged 1.566,
smallest group was 1.280

Seven groups of three shots each at 300 meters(327 yards) averaged 2.18

Smallest group at 300 meters was 1.08", two more were under 2", largest was 3.09

This is the factory 24" sporter barrel with a 4.5-14X Leupold on top in Talley LW rings and a Timney trigger. Weighs 8lbs even.

How do you think this load would hold up at say,...600 yards?

I don't have a longer range that I can access just yet but I'd like to take it out further.

Looks to me you have a real shooter. Except for that one group at 300m, looks like it is a consistent .5-.75 MOA. I'd say you are good to 600+.

Tank

i shoot 140 accubond at 3150 out of my adl it will hold it . beyond 600, if the wind is down. enjoy it is a game getter.

I have a factory wby vanguard 7mm remington and a rem 700 bdl that are extremely accurate. Some are and some are not. I think you are fine at 600 yards if your accuracy is good there. That 140 AB and 150 Scirroco both perform very well within the range where the 7mm remington is best suited.

Those FS remingtons are fine rifles. Sounds like 600 yards is a simple matter of a few more clicks with that rig. Nice.

Only thing I would caution, be sure your poi doesn't change from day to day or hot barrel to cold barrel.

Sounds like you've got the precision, just make sure you've got the repeatability too. IMO it's the combination of both that make for LR accuracy.

FWIW; Just me, but I'd handload for anything beyond 400 yds. I've had much better luck over the years with handloads when it comes to factory rifles and best accuracy.

Congratulations and Best O Luck:)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts