Factory Amom high pressure sings

400bull

This past fall I purchased an new Win M70 Sporter 300 WSM. At the time I did not have enough time to work up my own loads so I purchased a box of Fedral 165 Fussions to hunt elk with. I had a successfull elk hunt and the Fussions shot great out of my rifle in the fall. I have now had time to work up my own loads and needed to burn up the remaing Fussion (10) that I had left over. I decide this past week to burn them up over the weekend. Much to my supprise I started to get a stiff bolt lift after about the second or third round down range. Inspection of the primer and brass head stamped showed high pressure signs also (flattened primer and bolt markings on brass). I switched over and shot a couple of my hand loads to see if they would show any high pressure signs also. Not a sign one with the hand loads. I'm pretty sure that the issue is with the factory ammo. Have any of you ran in to high pressure problems with factory rounds before? I have always thought that I would be more likley to see high pressure signs when shoting in the high summer temps not in the cool winter temps (mid 30's). Do you think that it was the factory ammo or could the chamber on my rifle be out of spec?

400bull

Ive never had any pressure signs in my M-70 Win .270wsm with Fusions. However I have loaded a bunch of brass from Fusion ammo, and can tell you the case necks are longer(from factory) than any brass Ive played with to date.

Before I started handloading, Fed, Fusions were my ''go to'' bullet. I liked thier ammo, but Im not too big a fan of the brass. I have no pressure signs, but My bolt is stiff with my handloads on thier brass even after trimming, and F/L resizing.

Maybe your rifle has a short throat,and Fusions have long necks. Do you trim your brass on your new loads with Fusion brass?

I have not used any of the Fed Fussion brass in any of my reloads. All of my reloads are with Winchester brass and yes I trim the Winchester brass to length prior to loading them up.

400bull

Maybe Ill have to try Winchester brass. Just out of curiosity,what do your Fusion brass, and Winchester brass measure. (Fed before fireing, and Win) Im wondering if Win keeps thier necks trimmed shorter from the factory.

I'm not sure what the factroy case lenght is for ether the fussions or the Win brass. Probably was not the smartest thing to do but I shot up the remaining fussion rounds that I had even with the high pressure sings. The Winchester brass I size and trim to length prior to loading them. I'll need to look at my load data when I get home tonight to let you know what length I trim them to is. It seems like .005 below Hornady's recommened max.

400bull

I know this is an old post but I had the same problem yesterday. I was shooting a HS precision pro hunter lightweight in 300wsm. It was with winchester 150g power point loads. These are the first rounds Iv ever fired out of this rifle. I have shot it about ten times and each load has a flattened primer, ejector mark, and stiff bolt lift. I figure it must be the tight chamber.

I think that Winchester loaded the 150's very hot. The first ammo I shot out of my Winchester Model 70 in 300 WSM was Winchesters 150 Silver Tipped bullets and they produced some of the same signs. Since that time I have shot mostly my handloads and I have not had any problems with stiff bolt, flat primers etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.