Factory ammo recommendations -- help!

Try what you have first. Have you had this rifle for a while such that you know what it can do?

I hate to say it, but I have done minimal target shooting with it. I will need to test and record its abilities. How far would you recommend shooting from to test its accuracy? 100 on out as far as I can go keep a group?

Feel free to pm me with your number and a time to call tomorrow. It would take me way to long type everything out.-- Chris

I hate to say it, but I have done minimal target shooting with it. I will need to test and record its abilities. How far would you recommend shooting from to test its accuracy? 100 on out as far as I can go keep a group?

For starters, shoot at 100 yds. It will take several outings to get an idea of where the cold bore shot goes and then what kind of group it is able to do.

Last edited:
Anybody who thinks factory ammo can run with GOOD handloaded ammo is kidding theirselves. Way to many ways to fine tune neck tension, seating depth etc.

As long as you control those several variables, that is. I'm a handloader but know that some factory ammo can shoot as well as some handloads, if not frequently. I've seen it and you'd be surprised to see what ammo it has been.
For what the OP is asking, you'd just have to try and try to see what works. Just like handloading.

Show me factory ammo that will shoot E.S 25 fps and under .5 m.o.a over a 500 round lot out to past 500 yds and I will become a believer. I've seen hornady high end ammo 100fps e.s and 2" m.o.a

Show me factory ammo that will shoot E.S 25 fps and under .5 m.o.a over a 500 round lot out to past 500 yds and I will become a believer. I've seen hornady high end ammo 100fps e.s and 2" m.o.a

I won't guarantee that I could find that but I'll guarantee that every one of your handloads can't do that. Mine either.

I won't guarantee that I could find that but I'll guarantee that every one of your handloads can't do that. Mine either.
I'm not gonna keep going on, but I have my hand loads that I will put up against any factory ammo.

Hello all,

The rifle is an older, wood stock Winchester Model 70 in 7mm rem mag. I am looking for factory ammo recommendations capable of MAX 650-700 yard shots on the game I hunt (includes deer, elk, bear, cougar). It would also be enjoyable if I could plink with this gun out to about the 1,000 yard mark as well. Need to test my twist rate, but I'm assuming a 1:9.25.

Please let me know your recommendations!

Thank you.

I have a Model 70 7 mm Rem Mag target at 100 meters I shot on a clear cool calm day. I used the new Federal premium and I was very surprised. I had a 9 bulls eye target and I shot 7 of them with 3 shots each. the combination perfumed so well I was taken aback. Normally I hand load. However it is a well maintained rifle. I had to glass bed it after a few years as it started shooting wild. But even if all my groups were scattered but touching, taking that out to 1000 meters if a different matter. With my target and varmit rifles and hand loads at 100 meters 3 shots form one hole, on a rest, sitting, with calm conditions. So a custom barrel, custom or hand-loads and practice, gives that 1000 yard shot. Very good luck to you. I Hope you enjoy your journey.

First off your replies come off as a new shooter. You said haven't shot much Target time with it. Before you start looking for ammo to shoot 6-700 yards on game you need to see if your even capable of shooting that far. Ethical harvest of game that far takes good equipment, practice, and a knowledge base of ballistics.

Start at 100 and if you find a Ammo your gun likes and it is under a 1" 3 shot group move on to 200 then to 300 and so on.

You will be surprised to learn just how far 700 yards is and just how big of a area your cross hairs take up at that distance.

The animals life deserves your due diligence in practice.

Agree with ShtrRdy, try what you have first. MOST factory rifles today plenty accurate, and you aren't going to be shooting 1000 yds any time soon (you'd be surprised how far that is when looking out there and seeing a 40" black that looks like a mouse turd). You should find someone to get you into reloading, it's not hard, and you can save the cost of the reloading set up (don't need a $500 progressive, get a single stage , used) and will save at least 1/2 on the ammunition. I started reloading in 1959, to make my own ammo more accurate, and cheaper, and haven't bought but a couple of boxes of store stuff in all the years since. When you are paying $1.50 or more per shot sure cuts into you desire to shoot. The 7RM will shoot to a 1,000 yds and stay super sonic easily enough, but hitting something another thing. Takes a lot of practice. Hell, takes a lot of practice to hit stuff at a 100 yds, if shooting offhand. You need to look at shooting a 1,000 rounds to get up to speed, and several times that many to get good. Long Range shooters I shoot with commonly shoot 3,000 rounds a year, on average. If you're going to shoot deer, don't really want the heavier bullets, 150, even 140s enough. Elk then 160s or 175s. But beyond 600 yds the bullets not going to open up right anyway, so might not make a big difference. Warren Page, used a 7mm Mashburn magnum and 175gr bullets to do all his hunting with (he had shot in over 400 head of game in his life time), and so got to know his load, and rifle. He was also a bench rest shooter, so knew how to shoot. You can get into reloading for a couple $100 , as only need a decent powder scale, press, and dies. A set of Lee powder scoops, and a primer seater (RCBS make a great hand held one), then you'll of course need bullets and powder and such, but will quickly save the cost of everything in the savings on the factory ammo. Another thing to realize is, and to those where who shoot a lot will know it, but don't always think to say so, is, get some bullets of the weight you want to shoot, and load those. Can experiment around some, but as you go from weight to weight, they will shoot to different points of impact etc. The 06 used to be famous for that. Using different type bullets too, will change things. SO, find what you like, need, and stick with it. I think you'll find reloading is interesting in itself. Now, you can buy a reloading manual or a dozen, and they are good. BUT you can go on line at places like Hodgdon powder, Alliant powder, Accurate powder and Western Powder, and they ALL have reloading data right there, for free. Oh, forgot to mention. Get a case trimmer too, you'll need one. A friend uses the Lee ones that work with a press, I use an OLD Redding one I've had forever. You probably don't need anything done to the rifle, shoot it first. I shot a Howa in 204 last summer, right out of the box, shot 1/4" 5 shot groups. My factory Remington 700 in 223 will put them all in a one hole group, if I do my part. You don't need a 1/4" shooter anyway. when I was young(er), an inch group was the holy grail. You kept that rifle to brag about. 2" groups were plenty good enough to hunt with (and mostly still are). But guns, ammo, components etc all improved to where folks believe you have to shoot 1/2" or better, which is silly, other than for bragging rights. Don't know where you live, but see if a gun club around or reloading group who can help you out on it. My club has had clinics on reloading, but here in Maryland and you might be in Oregon or somewhere. If you were close would be glad to help you get into the reloading and we have a nice range to shoot at. You will also need case lube, etc don't get the old crap you need a lube pad with. I use the imperial case wax stuff. Others seem to like the spray on stuff. BTW, if you're interested I have a Lee press I could let go cheap. There's also a good thread on reloading somewhere else on LRH, so might want to look at that too.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.