Factory ammo QC

KSB209

I know many of you reload but for those of you that shoot factory ammo have you experienced a decline in quality control in the last 6-12 months?? As we all know ammo is tough to find these days and I'm wondering if manufacturers are producing ammo faster then normal and not worrying about the details.

example....buddy and I went shooting last week. Normally my 300wm shoots 1/2-3/4 MOA with Hornady GMX. That group opened to 1 1/2" at 100 yards with a box I bought recently. Went back to a box I had for maybe 2 years and results were 1/2" group. My buddy had some newer Federal loaded with partitions in 30-06 and he had the exact same results. New ammo shot 1 1/2-2" at 100 yards. Old stuff from the cabinet (same brand same weight) shot 1" or better.

just wondering what y'all are experiencing with "new" factory loaded ammo vs stuff you have had for a while. If this continues I don't think I will be buying much ammo for the near future.
Don't have a chrono so I don't j ow what the speed of the bullet was.

I had some Winchester 350 legend ammo with multiple cases in one box that had a bad cut. It was so bad that the rounds wouldn't even chamber. Attaching a pic of one of the rounds, wasn't the worst one, but the easiest one to see with the naked eye. Some of them the mouth had a nice cut, but it was too long overall to fit the chamber. This one has a botched cut on the mouth.
4638426B-CB35-441A-8F68-F78F516F1A2D.jpeg

So it appears that the manufacturers are just operating at 100+ % and don't care about QC anymore....bummer. I want to start reloading but my time is limited and I don't have anyone to show me the ropes

So it appears that the manufacturers are just operating at 100+ % and don't care about QC anymore....bummer. I want to start reloading but my time is limited and I don't have anyone to show me the ropes
If you wanted to start now I'd hope you already own primers, because although there's some powders available still, good luck finding any primers.

350 legend and 22lr are the only rounds I shoot; and don't reload for. 22 because I can't, and 350 legend because I can't find small rifle primers to even be able to.

Problem with reloading is, if you start now, you won't be able to find ANY components. Everything has dried up.
Timing and preparedness is everything. It is only a problem if one takes no action. Reloading equipment is still readily available and gets you closer to reloading when components are available. It is not completely dried up.

Timing and preparedness is everything. It is only a problem if one takes no action. Reloading equipment is still readily available and gets you closer to reloading when components are available. It is not completely dried up.

I agree. I would definitely start trying to locate whatever I could as far as components, etc. They are not going to get any easier to come by anytime soon. He could also beg or borrow some from a friend, at least to get started. Primers here and bullets there and of course some powder, but he probably won't be able to find it all in one place. I finally located some long sought after powder (Alliant R19) in Montana, but they only had 5 lb containers. It cost me $193 after Haz-Mat and UPS fees, but I needed it. I checked recently, and now they are out of it. Glad I didn't wait to order it.

Last edited:
I shoot a lot of Fiocci FMJ pistol ammo and I cannot think of a time I ever had a failure. Maybe 3000-4000 rounds a year 9mm, 40 cal, and 45 acp. It's my go to for cheap target pistol ammo and never had a problem. Haven't bought any in the last 12 months though.

I know many of you reload but for those of you that shoot factory ammo have you experienced a decline in quality control in the last 6-12 months?? As we all know ammo is tough to find these days and I'm wondering if manufacturers are producing ammo faster then normal and not worrying about the details.

example....buddy and I went shooting last week. Normally my 300wm shoots 1/2-3/4 MOA with Hornady GMX. That group opened to 1 1/2" at 100 yards with a box I bought recently. Went back to a box I had for maybe 2 years and results were 1/2" group. My buddy had some newer Federal loaded with partitions in 30-06 and he had the exact same results. New ammo shot 1 1/2-2" at 100 yards. Old stuff from the cabinet (same brand same weight) shot 1" or better.

just wondering what y'all are experiencing with "new" factory loaded ammo vs stuff you have had for a while. If this continues I don't think I will be buying much ammo for the near future.
Don't have a chrono so I don't j ow what the speed of the bullet was.
Yes, in larger calibers, No in smaller calibers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.