Factory Ammo People

WyoElk2Hunt

I just got a new rifle and everyone wants to see it and ask what is it. When I tell them it is a custom wildcat rifle they say where do you buy Ammo. I tell them you don't you have to reload. I get a funny look and have to explain I reload all my rifles and pistols except rimfire. Then I have to explain why I reload. I was wondering if some of these people even know the difference between 150 gr bullet and 180 gr bullet or they just buy what ever is on sale for thier guns. Do they know you have to set zero again when you change loads or they just shoot. Just curious if any of you run into same thing. Why do you reload? accuracy or savings or wildcat ammo.

Last edited:
... I was wondering if some of these people even know the difference between 150 gr bullet and 180 gr bullet or they just buy what ever is on sale for thier guns. Do they know you have to set zero again when you change loads or they just shoot. Just curious if any of you run into same thing. Why do you reload? accuracy or savings or wildcat ammo.

I've seen the same thing, ALWAYS makes me shake my head in disbelief. I do reload, along the same lines of which you speak. A handful of wildcats i.e. 6.5-06AI, 6-284, 22-243, 6mmAI etc, some rifles built for accuracy & some (Lazzeroni) which are ridiculously expensive at ~$100 per 20.

Why I reload? I have reloaded wildcat cartridges, I have never saved any money reloading I suppose it's kind of the pursuit of perfection, trying to find the perfect combination of components for the task at hand.
While it's not painting your shield, and horse before the hunt there is an element of ritual to it, focussing your mind, visualizing what's coming, remembering what you've learned.
It's knowing that every round you've packed to the top of the mountain is capable of being the only one you need.

Most people know very little and they seem to get by just fine. For some, ignorance is bliss. But the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know much.

I reload because I find it an excellent way to connect with and teach my son about physics, manufacturing, business, work ethic, and the rewards of setting and acheiving goals.

There are no cost savings. You can't justify it. You just do it. .

We just graduated from reloading to the lathe and have started building rifles. I can't wait for him to take his first deer with a rifle he had a hand in building. ...priceless

--richard

I reload for the cost savings, my Norma and Lapua are much cheaper to do myself than what I could ever buy for. The downside to it is I end up shooting a lot more. "why do you need another can of powder, didn't you just buy some? Uh no honey that was a different powder, honest" I also do it because I seem to find it relaxing somehow. After a long crappy day it just seems to help me forget as I concentrate on not screwing up the little thing that I intend on puposely making go boom literally inches from my face. That and as I get better and learn more I find that my rounds are getting more accurate.

A wiseman once said (think on this site5-8years ago) I don't reload to save money, I reload to shoot more!:rolleyes:

My buddies think that when you reload it's pretty much free to shoot. They don't take into account all the "perishables" ; bullets, powder, primers and replacement brass. Not to mention the actual reloading equipment.

I reload .300 wm to shoot high quality ammo at Remington green box prices. However, I will have to reload forever to offset the startup costs. After that let the "savings" begin.:D

I've figured out that w/ my .308, I load at about .80 a round. That is even better than Remington Wal-Mart ammo prices. I also get to pull my kids in now and again when they ask to help. My daughter (4) always wants to help. My 7yr old loves helping dad when he can. He's always asking. He loves shooting to boot!:D Daughter is nipping on his heels. She'll be the first to pull the trigger when I let her. Another year and she'll be at the range with me. I like the satisfaction I get when I finally get a load put together that really works well. Like somebody else stated, it brings me down if I had a rough day and calms the nerves. I listen to some Joe Bonamassa, or like tonight Stevie Ray Vaughan! Have other stuff, but a little blues is great when I'm reloading. It's a me thing and helps to clear my mind. I can think about the day and the days to come. It's an escape from the family when I need to get away.

Take Care,
Tank

I enjoy shooting sooo much more now that I quit reloading after 42 years and sold my whole outfit to a beginner who is totally engrossed in it. Now I buy the best factory ammo I can afford and enjoy shooting 10x more cause I dont have to do all that reloading stuff. Yes it does co$t me a lil more, but I don't shoot only a few 100 rounds a year Jan thru Aug. And todays factory ammo is so darn good.

Took the wife out today to have her re-zero her 30-06 from 300y to 425y at the range. With factory HSM 165 BTSP ammo it took 6 shots and 12 clicks up on her Bushnell 3-9x40 to put three shots within 3" straddling the bull at 425y in a 20mph quartering gusty wind. Next trip out we'll work on shrinking her group size down to below 4". In the meantime I'll watch for an ammo sale...

I handload because their is no way to get the componetry I want with the quality that is needed for anthing less than a small fortune.

The fellow who got me started in all things centerfire used to joke that he had burned more 22-250 ai barrels, than he had fired factory centerfire rounds. Wasnt until 5 rifles in to my long range obsession that I fired a factory round through a rifle. That was mainly due to the ammo coming with the rifle and a tremendous lack of factory brass. The only lesson I walked away with was that 150 scirrocos loaded bye remington dont group for crap.

For me reloading is an essential part of the shooting hobby. Where I have been living the nearest decent range was many miles away, but my reloading desk was just a room away. It kept me connected to the shooting sports even when the nearest 1k range was 150 miles away.

As for it being cheaper, well only if you shoot a lot. Those rcbs rock chuckers, several tumblers, an ohaus 10-10, 15 sets of dies, tumbling media, stock piles of bullets and brass and primers..... Dunno how much was saved.

My buddies think that when you reload it's pretty much free to shoot.

I have reloaded for a couple buddies for several years and to think of it I can't remember a single penny they have given me. They are the kind of guys the OP was referring to and don't shoot much at all...lucky for me I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.