Factory Ammo for new .280 Remington

snuff

Just bought a NIB Ruger MKII in .280 Remington. I plan to put a VX-3 4.5x14x40 CDS scope on it.

I do not reload.

Before I order a dial I know I should be sure that the gun likes the ammo.

However, before I begin I thought I would ask about experience ya'll have had with Factory Ammo.

I will use the gun and ammo for South Texas Deer and possibly a Antelope Hunt someday. My ranges will run from 100-300 yards.

I shoot a .300 Win Mag for Mule Deer and Elk.

Federal Trophy Bonded Tip?
Federal Barnes TSX?
Federal Nosler Ballistic Tip?
Hornday SST?

Thanks for your input!!!

I have two older Ruger M77's in 280 Remington. One hunting and another in the varmint configuration. Several years ago I reloaded and found them to be easy to feed. As far as factory ammo, see if you can find someone in your area who you could get a few rounds from and try them. Each rifle may/may not like a particular round.

I don't reload any longer, and have found the factory ammo I buy to be agreeable with my rifles. Dime size groups were common when I spent the time at the range. I find the shortcomings to be me and not the rifle/ammo.

I have two older Ruger M77's in 280 Remington. One hunting and another in the varmint configuration. Several years ago I reloaded and found them to be easy to feed. As far as factory ammo, see if you can find someone in your area who you could get a few rounds from and try them. Each rifle may/may not like a particular round.

I don't reload any longer, and have found the factory ammo I buy to be agreeable with my rifles. Dime size groups were common when I spent the time at the range. I find the shortcomings to be me and not the rifle/ammo.

Thanks!

I have two older Remingtons in .280, one aobut 50+ yrs. old Mod. 721, and other about 25 yrs in Mod. 700 Mountain Rifle. The older guns shoots 100 yd. 1" groups with any factory, but really likes (1/2") the heavier 160 gr. Remington PSP's for some reason. The Mod. 700 prefers lighter factory ammo in the 130-150 gr. range, but is not particular to brand. Any of the loadings you mentioned will get the job done, it will just depend on how it processes each one.

I reload, and have a few boxes of factory, and if you're in the Houston area, would be willing to help. If you don't have a use for the spent brass, I'll take it off your hands, and would suggest the following test:

Shoot one round from each factory load at the same target/distance. Chose load closest to zero point and go with that.

Rick Morgan

Hello to you sir. I shoot a remington model 700 sendro sf 7mm and i've always shot the 150gr. winchester BST. A buddy of mine and myself ordered the federal Trophy Copper Tipped Boat Tail Lead-Free loads the other day. Mention he shoots a .280rem as well. They was accurate out of both our factory guns. I shot a lil over 1/2 inch and he shot right at 3/4 inch. This morning there was a yot in the cow paster lerking up on my new calfs. well lets just say he felt the new load in my gun. i would post a picture but it is very graphic!!! pencil hole going in and baseball hole out.. got my new load for deer.. Also just bought a .30-.378wtby but gonna reload fer it.. happy hunting and give them federal trophy copper tipped a try.

I have only shot a few different kinds through mine.
They were:
Fed 140gr Nosler BT--------------1" MOA
Hornady light mag 139gr SST---1.25" MOA
Remington accu tip 140----------1.25" MOA
All through a Remington 700 CDL Stcok
That's all I can help with as I don't use factory ammo anymore as I've aquired enough brass now.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.