factory ammo for 1:7 twist 16 bbl?

left handed gun

Have a Colt LE 6940, 16 " bbl with 1:7 twist.

Just put a scope on it. Looking for recommendations for best factory ammo to see what it will group. I can get plenty of plinking ammo, American Eagle, Military surplus, etc.

Locally, I can get Hornady 75 grain BTHP for 21.00/ box.

Federal Gold Medal Match is ...#@! 39.99 box at only local source.
I could find the GMM online if anyone recommends it based on experience. I believe they have a 69 gr and a 77 gr.

Is a heavier bullet generally (other things being equal) generally more accurate in a 1:7 bbl?

BlacK Hills unavailable locally. Nor did I see any at Cabelas on a recent trip. when it was available, and I shot a lot of it in my M1A, I found it close to Fed GMM, but no better. Curious if it is worth hunting it down online for a 5.56 carbine.

Military Surplus Lake City shot very well in my 7.62. Curious if anything similar produced for the 5.56.

Gun is stock, with a fairly heavy trigger.
It shoots anything you feed it, whether .223 or 5.56. Knock on wood, not a single FTF or other problem so far, with maybe 750 rounds down the pipe.

The 1/7 twist is for the heavier bullets. Try those 75 grn hornadys. They shoot great in my rifles. Also the 77 grain nosler custom competitions are a good choice for a cheaper heavy bullet.

Have a Colt LE 6940, 16 " bbl with 1:7 twist.

Just put a scope on it. Looking for recommendations for best factory ammo to see what it will group. I can get plenty of plinking ammo, American Eagle, Military surplus, etc.

Locally, I can get Hornady 75 grain BTHP for 21.00/ box.

Federal Gold Medal Match is ...#@! 39.99 box at only local source.
I could find the GMM online if anyone recommends it based on experience. I believe they have a 69 gr and a 77 gr.

Is a heavier bullet generally (other things being equal) generally more accurate in a 1:7 bbl?

BlacK Hills unavailable locally. Nor did I see any at Cabelas on a recent trip. when it was available, and I shot a lot of it in my M1A, I found it close to Fed GMM, but no better. Curious if it is worth hunting it down online for a 5.56 carbine.

Military Surplus Lake City shot very well in my 7.62. Curious if anything similar produced for the 5.56.

Gun is stock, with a fairly heavy trigger.
It shoots anything you feed it, whether .223 or 5.56. Knock on wood, not a single FTF or other problem so far, with maybe 750 rounds down the pipe.

Grab some American Eagle 50gr ballistic tips. Ammoseek.com. flat shooting and very affordable. Its perfect so you can practice and varmint hunt with the same ammo. Which means less time fingering the scope making adjustments.

The 1/7 twist is for the heavier bullets. Try those 75 grn hornadys. They shoot great in my rifles. Also the 77 grain nosler custom competitions are a good choice for a cheaper heavy bullet.

+1, on that. My SCAR 16s has 1/7 barrel and it loves the 75gr TAPS gun). LGS had them on sale for $14 per box so I bought several.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.