factory 6mm

combatcurt

Hey guys,

I have a factory Remington 700 chambered in 6mm. I've had this gun for 4 years and its always shot great. I have put roughly 400 rds through it and it shot the lights out. last summer, I sent probably 20 ground hogs to H-E-double hockey sticks with it and when I shot it again at the range to get it ready for upcoming hunts, I couldn't get a 6 inch group at 100 yrds. After that I cleaned, torqued, leveled, and checked everything. Nothing. my question is; do barrels go that suddenly? Has this happened to anyone else? Btw this gun was bought from cabelas gun library.

Thanks in advance

If it suddenly began to shoot badly I would suggest you inspect the crown for damage.

Also there may be fouling in the bore that you have not removed.

If you cannot find a borescope to view the interior I would suggest some aggressive cleaning with JB bore paste or Iosso combined with a copper solvent. You may have fouling that you haven't removed.

What are you using to clean the bore?

If it isn't a fouled bore or a bad crown perhaps it is a change with the stock/action. Is is bedded?

-----------------------

I have what most would consider a worn out barrel. The 257 Weatherby, lilja 3 groove SS has close to 1000 rounds through it. It is so rough that it tears up Berger 115 VLDs. Had to switch to Accubonds to keep bullets together in flight. It feels rough when I push a patch through the throat. It takes a long time to clean with plenty of overnight soaks with Bore tech eliminator.

I own a bore scope and a view is a horror show. The bore has nasty cracks/crazing and fissures for 14" or so up the bore. BUT it still shoots under 1/2" at 100 yds!

Supply more details and maybe the folks here can help you figure out why it isn't shooting.

Here is my cleaning regimen, give or take:

1.With a boreguide, run 2 wet patches through (hoppes #9)
2. Brass brush about 15 full strokes
3. Clean off rod and brush best I can with rag
4. Wet brass brush with #9 (drown that sucker)
5. 3-4 full strokes with wet brass brush
6. Soak for 15 minutes or so
7. 30-45 seconds of full strokes
8. Dry patches through until no more color
9. Wet patch
10. If no color, run a couple dry patches through, then one with Kroil followed by one dry.
if there is still color on the wet patch from step 9, resoak bore and repeat brushing.
I have some JB but the lapping compound has separated from the paste and is beaded up.

Stock:

The stock was one of the newer Bell and Carlson ones with the full length alluminum block. It was not bedded And shot 1/4 moa to 200 and 1/3 to 300. After ensuring base/ring mount/ ring screws are solid and torqued properly, I changed scope AND rings to no avail.

Crown looks fine and there are no mark's inside the barrel at the end of the muzzle and just looking through the action side, the rest looks ok ( I know I probably wouldn't see anything anyway but that is about the extent of my borescope capabilities ��

+1 --- I recently had this same problem. After close inspection it was the copper fouling. It took all day to clean. Remington's bore cleaner worked best. I thought I was doing a good cleaning job and had always used Hoppes. Apparently not.

Two things come to mind.
Scope puked or copper fouling.

I use wipe out/patch out to get rid of copper. #9 does little or nothing to copper fouling. Wipe is great because you put in the bore and let it sit no running cleaning rods through the barrel god knows how many times. If its really bad it could take 2 or 3 sessions of wipe out.

Try a different scope also. But do each alone so you know which it was.

I have tried (in addition to the original leupold vx-3) a Nikon monarch and nightforce nxs. I will pick up some ACTUAL copper solvent and try that. I had no idea hoppes was so crapppy ..

I have tried (in addition to the original leupold vx-3) a Nikon monarch and nightforce nxs. I will pick up some ACTUAL copper solvent and try that. I had no idea hoppes was so crapppy ..��

Hoppes isn't crappy, it just isn't a copper solvent. I've used Gunslick foaming bore cleaner to remove copper fouling with great success.

Matt

I was having the same problem with my fast .308. Because of how much powder I burn I know my barrel won't last forever. Thought I had it clean. Took it to the gun smith to have it bore scoped and check for throat erosion thinking I must have shot the barrel out of it. To my surprise he checks it says barrel looks great but had a lot of copper fouling. I thought I had it clean. He used some Bore Tech Inc. brand called Eliminator bore cleaner and scrubbed it good. Bam! My rifle shoots like before.
Must use a nylon brush with this stuff. Good luck.

first of all try to avoid using brass brushes. They are hard on barrels. I think your bedding may have gone south over the winter. Just happens with all rifles. Just as important, check your scope bases and rings, and try another scope.
gary

I was using Hoppe's BENCH REST 9 "copper solvent" and the newer Hoppe's Elite foaming"cleans down to the pores Carbon, Lead,& Copper". Suggestions? I was going to try TM.

Hoppes #9 is not going to clean copper from your bore. Pretty confident that copper fouling is your issue.

A guy at the range asked me where he could get his 7 Rem mag rebarreled as it was shot out. I asked him about the rifle. PO Ackley himself made the rifle so it WAS old but I asked him what he used to clean it anyway. Hoppes #9 .

I had him bring it to the range, next time we went, and told him to clean it up as best he could. The bore scope showed small copper colored lumps here and there, looked like tiny speed bumps! No shops in Tucson have Bore tech eliminator so I told him to get some Barnes CR-10 with instructions on how to use it. The following week I looked at it and it was clean, AND it shot nice groups again.

Go forth and get a copper cleaner. You might want to start with a foaming bore cleaner like wipe out as mentioned by a previous poster. I prefer Bore Tech Eliminator because you can leave some in to soak overnight, as often as you like. If you can't buy it locally then buy the more commonly available aggressive copper solvents like Barnes CR-10 or Sweet's 7.62. These cannot be left in the bore for very long and must be neutralized when done but they do work.

Expect plenty of blue patches when you begin the cleaning. Run patches through it till they come out clean.

I'll bet this will solve your issue. Then in the future use copper solvents as part of your cleaning regimen, things will clean up much faster with fewer shots through the bore.

X2 on the Sweets 7.62. It's also one of my favorites. Sometimes I think them dang patches will never stop coming out blue.

Old post update:

I never could get the 6mm to shoot, even after copper solvent. Several years ago I chambered a 1/14 3 groove Benchmark barrel in 6mm remington. I stamped it ".244 Rem". I shoot 53 grains of H30 with a 58 grain Vmax @ 4200 fps. The best I could get with the remington barrel was 3600 fps. It's been a groundhog hammer for the last several years. Cheers.

Old post update:

I never could get the 6mm to shoot, even after copper solvent. Several years ago I chambered a 1/14 3 groove Benchmark barrel in 6mm remington. I stamped it ".244 Rem". I shoot 53 grains of H30 with a 58 grain Vmax @ 4200 fps. The best I could get with the remington barrel was 3600 fps. It's been a groundhog hammer for the last several years. Cheers.
THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!
Semper Fi!