Factory 308 cartridge for white tail

chowder

Getting ready to compare some factory 308 cartridges in my new Savage 11 Long Range Hunter. I need to choose a small number of readily available cartridges to compare. No experience w/ 308, have used 270 & 7mm Mag in the past for mostly 100-200 yard shots. I will be mostly using the new Savage w/ a bipod for 200-400 yard shots for doe management on our croplands. Thanks!

I would try either pointed soft point or cor-lots in 150gr or the 180's what ever groups best. There some of the cheapest ammo but very effective. Bill Maylor..

a plastic tipped bullet 150, 165 or 168. the ones mentioned- sst, balistic tip or cbt.

The lightweight 125's and 130's would work well if that was your max range. They do kill really well from the 308. I wouldn't go heavier than 165 and 150 is usually the bullet I load when I do grab the 308. My dad though loves the 125s from both serria and the nosler bt. He use to use the hornady 110 quite abit as well.
He use to go to Pa for does after the Vt season. In 12 yrs that he went never had a tracking job and the gun shot 1-4 depending on how many tags they had

Nosler makes their 308 ammo with the 125 ballistic tip. I have used the 125 ballistic tip in hand loads for a number of years in different .308 caliber rifles and pistols. It is one super deer killing bullet. Just keep the impact velocity under 3100 fps and it does great.

For cheap priced factory ammo that is really accurate the Federal Power Shok 150 gr. I have never shot game with this ammo but a friend that has a gun shop always sends this ammo with me and my buddy when we go to sight in rifles for people. It is very accurate in every caliber in most all rifles.

I have a bone stock Browning A-bolt in .308 that I've not altered in any way. Now, its not a target rifle as it only shoots right around or a little less than MOA at 100-200,but I have killed many deer with it, one shot cold bore, out to 400 yards. I shoot Remington Core-Lokt 150 grain bullets. When I got this gun it was about 12 years ago and I didn't do any reloading (just now getting into it). I shot several types of factory ammo and the rifle shot the Core-Lokt the best. I've recently shot Fusion, Winchester, etc. and it still groups the Core-Lokt better. My dad got me onto them and I see no need to shoot any different factory rounds for whitetails in MS/AL. I will be making some handloads for the rifle along with others, but with a factory A-bolt, I'm not expecting anything other than decent performance. Good luck on your hunt, and let us know the results.

I've always just used Match HPBTs and Nosler BTs in mine. Same stuff I shoot at the paper.

The match bullets havent failed me on deer size game.

Choose the weight bullet that your rifle likes.:)

I am a HUGE fan of barnes bullets for the longer range I think a Tipped TSX would serve you well, but even at 400 yds the regular TSX would knockemdead

I have been shooting Hornady 165 grain BTSP. I have not taken a deer with this out of my .308, but have used the bullet in other calibers. Their BTSP hits deer great. It opens nice, but stays together also.

I am not a fan of the 308 for white tail deer. I have had to chase to many deer shot with my 308. The deer were all dead but I had to find them. One night we had to hunt one in the brush after dark with flashlights. We found it but I started using a 270 and I have never had to chase a single deer. I now only shoot competition with my 308. Years ago I had a 7mm mag and it was too much gun for little white tail deer in south Texas. The 7 mag would just shoot through the deer and the deer would run. This was forty years ago before ballistic tip bullets. I have not hunted with a 7 mag since then. If you have a 270 now, you may not be able to do better.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.