Factory 30-06 ammo

FWIW, I recently purchased some cheap Remington 180gr. Core-Lokts in 300RUM to break down and use the brass for my 338 Edge. Never having any luck with them in my 280 for years, I decided to weigh the powder charges of each one. My brother feeds his 06 with them and they always work fine for vital shots. But after witnessing the waste that comes from a flyer into the shoulder, I decided to try and sway him away from factory ammo and let me work up some taylored loads for him. Anywho, after weighing a mere 22 charges, I found a 1.5gr. variation. I broke down 5 boxes total from same lot. Core-Lokts are popular, no doubt, and work, but if I didn't roll my own I would spend $15-20 more for ammo made with higher quality components and under lower volume manufacturing conditions, some brands even hand loaded. When you get the chance of a lifetime, and being ethically minded, I like to be prepared to aim small. New member and happy to be here!

That's good info! I used to weigh all my factory match .223 loads and separate them if needed to closest weight, just for fun. I think I will do the same for the 30-06.

Not the same rifle but for additional reference material, I had a 30-06 Winchester XPR that I tried a ton of factory ammo in (expensive Berger, Nosler, Hornady Elite Hunter, Federal Premium type rounds) and in weights from 150-200. Of the many boxes I tried, that rifle liked the cheap Federal Non-Typical 180 bullets the best (half MOA at 100 yards). In general, that rifle also liked 180s better than any other weight. For the price of that ammo, it's definitely worth grabbing a box and seeing if your rifle likes them.

Seems like many have had good luck with the cheap Federal. I will have to give them a go for sure. Thank you!

Cfshooter,
I was very surprised at this level of deviation. I expected .5 maybe .7gr spread. Must have been made on a Monday or Friday. Happy to contribute what I can.

Winchester powerpoints were a staple for my uncle's 06. I will use 180 coreloc's in my 760. These are not a long range round but shoot sub moa in that rifle. We have 11 06's in the family. All have a handload but all will shoot either Win powerpoints Fed hi shock/power shock or corloc's respectably.
I'd look at the edge tlr 175 load the Fusion and the 165 sierria game king from Fed
The precision hunter from Hornady
The deer XP from winchester
Sierria is about to come out with their own brand of loaded ammunition. I'd expect the announcement at shot show. If they use their starline brass to load their bullets I'd say try that as well.
Good luck

I'll second the 150 grain Deer Season XP as well. Looked back at my notes and that was the second best factory load in my -06 at least (180 Non-typical being the best).

Back in the day i was getting started in reloading I used to buy Nosler 150g, 165g and 180g Ballistic Tip ammo. I bought it to have the brass to reload. I would take it home and pull it apart. Measure the powder and divide by 20 to get consistent powder charges and reseat the bullet to fit my rifle old 30/06 better. I just recently tossed the last of that Nosler brass, it made 11 total firings with annealing.
The straight factory ammo would usually do 1-1/4MOA, after preparing it I would usually see 3/4 to 1 MOA. Nothing ever went far after meeting one of those BT bullets.

Well below is the order I placed today. I already have some Rem Core-Loc in 125, 150, and 165. I started with mostly lighter loads as it would be nice to be able to get MOA at 100 with a light load. I figured I would be able to shoot more and not have a beat up shoulder. If none of these perform, I will pick up some 180's in a variety and see how that goes. Hopefully I can test these in the next week or so and I will post the results if anybody cares.

Items in your order Qty Price

Federal 30-06CS 30-06 125 Sp Ph 20rds
1 $19.39

Federal GM30-06M 30-06 168 BTHp 20rds
1 $22.29

Hornady Custom Lite .30-06 125GR SST 20Rds
1 $21.49

Hornady SF 30-06 165GR SST 20rds
1 $24.29

Federal Gold Medal .223 Rem 77GR BTHP 20Rds
1 $17.49

Subtotal $104.95
Shipping & Handling $12.99
Grand Total $117.94

Pic of the basic ADL with Vortex 4x12x44 being used.

IMG_1597.jpg

Last edited:
I found back when testing the 30/06 for accuracy, with handloads my recipe was as follows 150 grain power point 50 to 51 grains of imr4064 and a cci standard rifle primer. Don't be afraid to move your seating depth for best accuracy.

Last edited:
Mine likes the 165 grains. Shot Federal 165 Gamekings and Nosler Ballistoc tips out of it for years. Swapped to Nosler ammo with 165 grain Accubonds and have been pleased with the performance on game and the accuracy. My rifle shoots all 3 of those well under an inch at 100 and just over an inch at 200.

Mine likes the 165 grains. Shot Federal 165 Gamekings and Nosler Ballistoc tips out of it for years. Swapped to Nosler ammo with 165 grain Accubonds and have been pleased with the performance on game and the accuracy. My rifle shoots all 3 of those well under an inch at 100 and just over an inch at 200.

Nosler Accubonds will be next on the list if none of these can do the job.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.