Factory 270 win ammo for ruger american

HobieH3

Anybody found one that seems to work really well?

Hornady Whitetail 130g seems maybe a little better than Core-Lokt PSP 130, which was maybe a little betterthat the 110

I tried the Hornady Superperformance, but my shoulder was already pretty sore so I certainly wasn't at my best...may wind up with a 6.5 CM or .243

Anybody found one that seems to work really well?

Hornady Whitetail 130g seems maybe a little better than Core-Lokt PSP 130, which was maybe a little betterthat the 110

I tried the Hornady Superperformance, but my shoulder was already pretty sore so I certainly wasn't at my best...may wind up with a 6.5 CM or .243

I was going to suggest the 130gn Superformance! Sorry about the shoulder. You'll find off the shelf stuff that shoots well but I found that the Remington and a few other, besides their Premier line, shoot a bit slower. I've had good accuracy with the 130 or 150gn Federal Fusion and data from many reviews support that. Lots of options otherwise. cheers

2 votes for Federal. Thanks guys. Ordered a bipod and an AirTech recoil pad.

First time out wasn't this bad; I think the bench at this range had me sitting higher and bending over more. I think sitting up a little more will help. Black and blue this AM.

2 votes for Federal. Thanks guys. Ordered a bipod and an AirTech recoil pad.

First time out wasn't this bad; I think the bench at this range had me sitting higher and bending over more. I think sitting up a little more will help. Black and blue this AM.

I predict you're going to love that recoil pad. I put one on all my magnums and it's a game changer.

I couldn't get anything to shoot well in mine until I tried Federal 150 rn. That gave me sub 1" 5 shot groups. Killed my last elk with them.

Before I started loading for my wife's 270 American the Hornady American Whitetail 130 shot good. The Nosler 130 AB trophy grade was what shot the best. I know Nosler has their new BT ammunition that runs about 30 a box. I used this ammo to break in a new 280 AI since it was cheap an I was getting great accuracy with it.

Thanks again. Ordered a couple of boxes of the Hornady Lite from Bud's. Gotta get back on that horse, but I'll start with a pony !

FWIW, that shoulder has hurt for about 38 yrs, off and on, so it's not as though I am that worried.

The recoil doesn't seem to bother my wife for no more than she shoots, but I will say that 270 American does kick more than you would think. I picked it up on sale and thought it would make a great gun for the price, which it has, but it is not the most pleasant to shoot. I put a limbsaver slip on pad on that helped tame it down a little. I picked up a 243 American at Walmart for $199 a couple years ago and that is a really fun little gun. The plastic stock feels much better with the recoil of a 243 than the 270.

Most heavier cartridges will produce more felt recoil off the bench!
Also the weight of the rifle will also have an effect.

What is the rifle & what is it actually used for??

I load a 90gr Sierra into my Browning Abolt & it turned it into a pudy cat, the load is useful for pigs, goats & small deer but anything larger I go back to my 130gr Hornady SST load & of course the recoil goes up.

I only have an issue with the rifle off the bench but I only shoot off the bench to check the zero of the scope.
If you find recoil off the bench to much & your not a hunter then maybe fit a muzzle break, get a lead sled or as you mentioned another cartridge might be worth considering.

On factory ammo well they will all work differently in each rifle but I had my best groups with 130rg Remington core loks

Rem .270.JPG

Last edited:
My first time off the bench wasn't nearly as bad. I think I sat lower thete and was therefore more upright. Next time ill try to be more upright so I can rock back with the shot instead of being the immovable object.
Also found the Hornady Custom Lite online (Buds Gun Shop) for a very reasonable price. I thought that might help me get back on the horse.
I probly also kept shooting after I should have stopped. Have a long history with this shoulder so I'm used to ignoring it.
I got the rifle for deer hunting. We have elk here (Kentucky), but the tags are hard to get (lottery system and I think the bull gun permit was about 500:1 odds last year) and expensive. Deer are thick, don't normally run real big, and most places you can't shoot over 200 yds, so even the Hornady Custom Lite would be OK.

Thanks. I appreciate the support and lack of "what kind of wussy can't handle a sissy 270? What would he do with a real man's gun like a 300 RUM?" responses. Almost like not being on the internet...

I have a lightweight 270 that had too much recoil so I put a muzzlebrake on it and that turned it into a fun to shoot gun. Only problem is that hearing protection is a must, even when hunting.

HobieH3, I thought the same as you (where are the 'wussie!' comments?) Just shows that MOST of the people on this forum are mature, good guys and gals who know what you are talking about. The .270 Win is right at the max for most 'average' shooters to be able to handle (recoil-wise) and that is based on a 8lb to 8.5lb total gun weight.

Factor in that those Ruger Americans are fairly lightweight (6.2 lbs!) and they sure don't come 'factory' with a recoil-pad anywhere near effective as a Limbsaver, so a factory .270 Win load with 130gr or 150gr bullets is going to 'greet' your shoulder quickly and with authority from that rifle, to be sure.

Getting some of the Hornady Custom Lite ammo for it was a great choice, especially when you clarified your uses for the gun (deer in the Kentucky area.) Perfect. For bench work (sighting in and such) I like to use a PAST recoil pad. The "Super Mag Plus" version works great and allows me to spend as much time as I want at the bench. Cost $32 and you can use it for a lifetime with any rifle or shotgun.

As Aushunter1 pointed out, a lighter bullet weight will cut recoil down, too, and since you are just going after deer with the rifle, the Remington Express Core-Lokt 100 grain PSP ammo would work fine, kick a little less, and was showing as $15 a box of 20 on sportsmansguide website. Another option is the Remington Managed Recoil 115 grain Core-Lokt PSP at targetsportusa website at $16 a box (SKU#TSRL270W2). Even HSM makes a 'low-recoil' .270 Win load (UPC #810742024710) which they claim is half the recoil but still good to 200 yards on deer. Nice!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.