F.y.i. us army orders $50 million barrett mrads in 300 prc

Slower by 300 to 400 fps? What are you assuming is pushing the 230 and same for the 195?
The .28 Nosler will push the 195's to 3,100 (in some cases higher). I'm figuring a .300 PRC/.300WM pushing a 230gr bullet will average about 2,800. I'm being conservative in my number averages.

The .28 Nosler will push the 195's to 3,100 (in some cases higher). I'm figuring a .300 PRC/.300WM pushing a 230gr bullet will average about 2,800. I'm being conservative in my number averages.

Gotcha. NM will push them close to 3k some over. Last NM I shot was pushing the 215 over 3100 I think. Pretty sure anyway. I have so many numbers in my head.

Not sure what the prc would push them at. You're probably close with the wm though.

I'm thinking everyone is missing the boat on this one. It's really nothing to do with the 300WM. Instead it's to be able to consistently out-Distance the two oldest Cartridges in Service by the Red Army, the 7.62x54 & the 9.3x64. Paramount attention has been to keep from getting pinned down at 700 Yard ranges by the old dogs. The "New" Newton dubbed 300-PRC can do this rather easily.

my mk 13 SEAL SNIPER WITH A 26.5" bbl does 2913 with a berger 230. not so conservative.

I, for one, am not adverse to trying out new cartridges and since it appears that this 300 PRC might be yet another successful cartridge from Hornady I'll probably get a new barrel for a rifle currently in 375H&H if in a few months it seems to be gaining at least moderate acceptance. I've been thinking that H&H is more than I want to handle or need.

They are already using 338 Lapua, Barrett 50 etc are they just standardizing, and this must just be for just snipers I guess?

If you haven't already done so, I suggest that you read the previous 13 pages for the answers to your questions. This is not a simple yes or no answer, it's involved technically and involved politically within the branches of all of the military from DoD on down.

The short, simplistic answer is that most of these changes are "far more refined". Evidently, the DoD is attempting to 'refine' not only the cartridge selection but obtain new platforms from which to deliver those cartridges. Here is an article with a decent explanation:

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...-this-formidable-new-sniper-rifle-in-300-prc/

This is the basic platform for the replacement system:

XHBNC3QOEZDBTMDMJWFXAZBDHU.jpg

The ASR program asked industry to give the military a bolt-action sniper rifle that could be chambered in .338 Norma Magnum, .300 NM and 7.62mm NATO, with a platform for engagements beyond 1,500 meters.

The rounds give shooters different mission options, from anti-materiel to anti-personnel to training scenarios.

The MRAD has all three, changeable at the operator level, Miller said.

The contract award does not specify how many rifles the company will build or which entity within the Defense Department will be receiving them. Miller couldn't provide any further details.

But the ASR program continues and will soon enter phase II testing, which could be within the next three months. That will replace existing SOCOM sniper rifles.

The .338 NM is quickly becoming a round of choice, as it's also the caliber of lightweight medium machine gun that Special Operations Command is seeking from industry. Ballistics experts compare its range and lethality to that of the .50-caliber M2 machine gun but in a much lighter weapon and ammo package.

And one on the 6.5mm request:

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...g-at-a-new-6-5-mm-round-for-its-sniper-rifle/

Another point to consider is that all these new tests come on the heels of increases in the federal military budgets which increases spending.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Interestingly I have a good friend who has more money than brains. He first bought a Barrett MRAD with a .338 LM barrel and a US Optics scope 5 years ago and has NEVER shot it.
Then last year he bought a Barrett .50 cal M82A1 and, natch, has NEVER shot it.
I must have asked him two dozen times over the years to go to my range and shoot his MRAD out to 1,100 yards. Of course he's always "too busy".

i wonder if it i even possible to get a .300 PRC barrel from Barrett until they fulfill the government contract.

Eric B.

So the US military is adopting Hornadys 300 PRC as one of their long range cartridges, geez Hornadys smoke and mirrors marketing scheme is sneaking one past the military,

Good to see they know to change with the times when a better cartridge shows up !

Old MudRunner must be pulling his hair out at this stupid decision by the US Military.........

The 300 PRC is one of my favourite cartridges ever made.
Near perfect 30 cal cartridge imho

Last edited:
So the US military is adopting Hornadys 300 PRC as one of their long range cartridges, geez Hornadys smoke and mirrors marketing scheme is sneaking one past the military,

Good to see they know to change with the times when a better cartridge shows up !

Old MudRunner must be pulling his hair out at this stupid decision by the US Military.........

The 300 PRC is one of my favourite cartridges ever made.
Near perfect 30 cal cartridge imho
Where is @MudRunner2005 ?? He's been posting for a decade and I haven't heard from him in a long time..
I'm with you, it's about time the military retired the 300 WM.
The PRC is a better design without a doubt

This is not a .50 platform (M107/M82, M99, M95) and nowhere near in design. I have carried the 107 up some steep terrain and over some somewhat long distances, I agree they are heavy.
Hated that thing, and it wasn't even spectacularly accurate either. I almost cried when they finally gave me an SSG to replace it.

Interesting but Hornady and Dave Tooley came up with the 300 PRC 20 years ago. Back then it was the 300 Hornady Super Magnum (HSM). Tooley built me a longe range pistol on that caliber. They even had a limited run of factory dies. That round has been submitted and tested by SOCOM since early 2000s. So not their first time shooting and testing this round. I have seen Tooley shoot it in 1k competition with hornady bullets and come in 3rd at the Nationals. The round will do what it is designed for .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.